Chapter Ten

Yoongi remembers the day he heard about the accident vividly.

He hadn't heard it from Jungkook. It had been a few months since they'd last spoken to each other and not long after they'd lost touch Taehyung appeared.

It was Taehyung who had told him, and he had heard it from Hoseok.

They turned on the news immediately after, knowing the death of such an influential businessman was bound to be covered on the nightly news, which it was.

"Jeon Yonjun of JK Drafting & Design was involved in a fatal car accident this evening. The young C.E.O. was driving east bound presumably on his way home from the office when a drunk driver ran a red light, colliding into the driver side of the vehicle. The other driver was killed instantly while it is believed that Mr. Jeon passed away en route to the hospital. Authorities say..."

Everything said after that could have been in a foreign language for all Yoongi knew.

He hadn't realized he'd started crying until Taehyung wrapped his arms around him and started rocking him from side to side.

He was trying to comfort Yoongi, but it just made him feel claustrophobic. Suffocated.

He shoved out of his arms, scrambled to his feet and frantically searched for his phone; talking to Jungkook being the only thing on his mind.

With shaking hands he dialed his number again, and again, and again.

After the tenth attempt Yoongi resorted to calling Jimin, knowing he would either be with Jungkook at that moment or know how to reach him, but he couldn't be reached either.

Yoongi cried all night and most of the next day, feeling heartbroken for his friend as well as guilty for not being there to make sure he was okay.

(Well, he knew Jungkook wasn't okay, but it was killing him that he wasn't there to help him through the not being okay.)

The next call he received that gave him any sort of peace was from Jimin.

He told Yoongi that Jungkook was back home, to which Yoongi couldn't help but ask where he had been outside of the city.

Apparently he had been on an "Unplugged" vacation in the mountains of Nepal, which was ironically horrific timing to be out of cell service.

It took much longer than preferred to get ahold of him– finally locating whatever wooden lodge he'd landed at for a few days to let him know he needed to call home because something terrible had happened.

The funeral preparations had started without him and despite taking the soonest flight he could out of the remote part of the country he was in, he would not be set to arrive in Busan until the night before the already scheduled day of the funeral.

Yoongi was in shock and couldn't fathom in the least how Jungkook felt.

When Yoongi became overwhelmed with the onset of information and couldn't respond or really understand what else Jimin was trying to tell him, Taehyung took the phone to get the rest of the details.

He knew Jungkook was a close friend of Yoongi's.

He didn't realize Jungkook was the younger brother of Jeon Yonjun, a man he had been somewhat familiar with in a professional sense, but he didn't hesitate to help however he could to get Yoongi from Seoul– where Yoongi had been visiting him– to Busan for the funeral.

The trip was an ordeal.

It was plagued with connecting flights being delayed due to terrible weather, buses running late– one even breaking down so all passengers, including Yoongi, had to wait and be put on a different bus– but somehow, he'd made it.