I miss mom

*Katie is 14*
I woke up and look at the clock. 7:45. I sigh and get out of bed. I go have a shower before heading down to the kitchen where I see my brothers.

"Morning shortstack!" Jay says.

"Morning Jay!" I reply with while taking a bite out of Will's toast. Jay starts laughing a little while I look at Will's shocked face.

"I- yeah go ahead just eat that.. I totally wasn't eating that." He says exasperatedly.

I smile and shrug. "Alright thanks!" I say while grabbing the toast and heading upstairs to get ready.

"Hey! I was being sarcastic!!" I hear loudly from downstairs. I chuckle lightly at Will. I get changed into a pair of black ripped jeans, a white t-shirt, with a red and black flannel going over top. I throw my hair into a low bun, put some makeup on and grab my shoes and backpack heading back downstairs.

"I'll see you guys after school?" I ask while putting my shoes on and getting ready to walk to school.

They both nod in reply. "You're coming to the district after school right?" Jay asks. I nod. "Alright! You good to walk or do you want me to pick you up?" I think for a minute.

"I'll walk." He nods. I've finished putting my shoes on so I walk over and kiss both of their cheeks before walking out the door.

"Have a good day and don't get in troub-" I hear before the door shuts. I make it to school in 10 minutes.

I head to my locker, grab my books and head to the corner where my friend group always meets up. When I near the corner I already see Jordan, Eva, Haylee, and Josh there. We're just waiting for Jaxon I guess.

"Hey Katie!!" I hear a shout before I'm attacked in a hug by multiple bodies. I burst out laughing and look down seeing Josh and Haylee squashed into my body.  I hug them back before we all let go and laugh at each other.

"What's up with you 2? I saw you on the weekend." They both shrug.

"We missed you." They both say at the same time. I smirk at them.

"Should've known.. I'm a missable person." I say with a wink while my friends laugh. I jump and scream slightly when I feel hands wrap around my waist. My friends laugh while I turn around to see Jaxon standing there with a smirk on his face. I punch his arm. "Don't do that to me! You gave me a heart attack!" He just laughs and pulls me in for a hug. I hug him back tightly.

We all separate and head to our own classes. All my friends are in other classes than me because none of them like art.

In art we learn that for our unit summative we have to make something big for our moms as Mother's Day is coming up. I sigh and raise my hand realizing how this is yet another reminder that everyone else gets to be happy with their moms except me. I can feel tears stinging my eyes as I get up and run to the bathroom after I get permission to leave and a look of pity from my art teacher.

I sit on the floor and rest my head against the wall as tears now flow freely from my eyes. How come my mom couldn't have lived? Everyone else has moms to help them through their periods, boy problems, mother daughter days, and just to talk to. But nooo Katie  Halstead has no one to do any of that with. Of course I have my brothers but I do NOT feel comfortable talking to them about that. Don't get me wrong.. I'm thankful for Will and Jay, more than I ever could have imagined but it's not the same as having a mom. I miss mom. I wish she still could be alive and we could do all those things together. I skip my next 2 classes and spend them crying on the bathroom floor. I've gotten weird looks from people but I could car less. Finally at last period I decide to clean myself up and go to class. All my friends are in that class so hopefully it's bareable.