Scared part 2

*Katie is 14*

It's been two weeks since they found Jay. He's been at home those two weeks by strict doctors orders but todays the day that he can go back to work.

He's happy because he's tired of being home doing nothing but me? I'm terrified. What if he gets hurt again? What if someone kidnaps him? What if he gets shot? What if he-

"Katie? You there?" Will says with a small chuckle.

I look up to see him and Jay looking at me worriedly. "Hmm?" I ask.

"You okay?" Jay asks.

"Yeah I'm fine." I say quietly.

They don't look satisfied with my answer but let it go.

"Ok we'll get ready we're gonna head out now." Jay tells me.

"Why do I have to get ready?" I ask confused.

"Your coming to the district with me, now go before you make me late." He says with a wink while ruffling up my hair.

I swat his hand away before running upstairs and getting ready. I come down to see Will about to leave.

"Bye Katie! Behave!" Will tells me.

"I will! Now go save some lives big brother." I say with a smirk while Jay laughs and Will glares at me annoyed.

"You take after Jay too much." He grumbles while walking out the door.

"Ready to go squirt?" Jay asks.

I sigh. "Yep!" I say with a fake smile. We start our ride to the district. Jay plays music and I am deep in thought the whole ride. Jay must've noticed and didn't try talk to me which I'm thankful for.

We arrive at the district and hop out of his truck making our way inside.

"Hey chuckles! Mini chuckles! Glad your back!" Platt says with a smile that your rarely ever see.

I wave hi as Jay and her have a conversation. After a few minutes Jay comes and takes me upstairs.

"Jay! Glad to have you back bro! Hey Katie!" Adam says.

"Hi." I say quietly. I feel everyone's eyes on me and see Hank looking at Jay confused. They all know that something wrong because I'm never quiet like never. I see Jay shrug to Hank but looking worried.

I make my way over to the break room not saying anything and plop myself down on the couch.

I wasn't even in there for a minute before Jay walks in. "Hey we have a case. We'll be back soon alright?"

I look up at him in alarm. "Wait what? Your going out?" I ask scared.

He looks over at me confused. "Yeah? It shouldn't take us too long."

I sigh. "Do you have to go?" I ask quietly.

He comes over and sits beside me. "Katie what's up? Why're you so scared?" He asks worriedly.

I inhale sharply "I- nevermind. Nothing I'm fine." I say with a fake smile.

Jay looks worried and pulls me in for a hug. I snuggle into his chest while holding him tightly. "Be safe." I mumble.

He nods. "Of course I will be. Love you Kate."

"Love you too Jay."

"Hey if you need to talk to someone Platts just downstairs alright?" He asks.

I nod and watch him walk out of the breakroom. I sigh as tears prick my eyes. Please be safe.

I shakily get up and walk downstairs to Platt. She turned at the sound of footsteps and her face softens as soon as she sees my tears.

"Roman! Take over to desk for me." She says before guiding me into a separate room down the hall. "What's the matter mini chuckles?" She asks sympathetically.

I shrug in response avoiding eye contact.

"Katie cmon honey. You can tell me." She urges.

I sigh. "Last time Jay was out on call, he didn't come back." I whisper painfully.

Her eyes widen in realization. "Aw honey.. come here." She says while pulling me into a hug.

I gratefully accept it. "I just don't want him to get hurt again." I say quietly while tears start falling faster.

"Hey Katie listen to me. Your brother is one of the strongest detectives I know. He'll be fine." She says comfortingly while rubbing my back.

I nod and pull away taking a shaky breathe while wiping my tears away. "Thanks Trudy." I say.

"Of course honey. Now why don't you come out and help me run the front desk alright?" She asks.

I nod before following her out. We get to the desk to see the team coming back in with smiles on their faces. I crane my neck and sigh in relief when I see Jay walk in. He looks up and his face turns from happy to worried when he sees my tear stained face.

"Katie? We're you crying?" He asks gently while walking over. The team stops talking now and looks over also seeing my tear stained face.

I look over at Trudy unsure what to do. She looks at me and catches what I'm trying to say. "Uh chuckles maybe you guys should talk about this in private." She suggests.

Jay look even more worried now but nods. I mouth thank you to Trudy. Before following Jay into a room.

I go sit down on a chair and look down at the ground. Jay shuts the door and pulls a chair up next to mine.

"What's the matter Kate?" He asks gently.

"I was scared." I mumble.

"Scared about what honey?" He pushes.

"Last time you were on a call... you didn't come back." I whisper, new tears now falling again.

I hear Jay sigh from beside me before getting off his chair and crouching down in front of me, lifting my chin up with his hand, making me look him directly in the eyes.

"Sweetie why didn't you say anything before I left?" He asks quietly.

I just shrug not answering. "I didn't want to worry you while you were on call and not be able to think straightly." I say.

He gets a slight smile on his face. "Katie come here." He says while opening up his arms. I quickly enter them with some much needed comfort. "I'll always come back to you Kate. Who else would be there to scare away boyfriends?" He asks with a smirk making me chuckle lightly.

"Love you Jay Jay." I say using our childhood nicknames.

He smiles. "Love to too Katiekins." He says using mine.

I giggle before hugging him tightly again.

"You ready to go back upstairs?" He asks.

I nod and stand up. He throws his arm over my shoulder while kissing my forehead before leading me upstairs. We make it to the top to see all eyes on us. I shrink back a little bit under everyone's gaze. Jay notices it and gives my shoulder a comforting squeeze.

Hank walks over to me before pulling me into an unexpected hug. "You okay now honey?" He asks.

I nod and hug him back.

Jay must be right. He always tells me Hank has a soft spot for me but I've never believed him. We pull away and I put a smile on my face before jumping on top of Jays desk and starting a conversation with Hailey like nothing happened.