Chapter 51 - Into the Unknown

Chapter 51 – Into the Unknown

Author's Note: After that little incursion into what Arcium was up to while Satoshi was gone, now we're back to Glass' World where Satoshi has just escaped the labyrinth. Enjoy!

We carefully ran through the vast forest until we finally reached a road. Since we were pretty far from the shrine and the labyrinth, we let down our guard and continued along the road.

"So, what's next?" Naofumi asked.

"What do you mean?" Kizuna asked confusedly.

"We only teamed up because of the circumstances, right? So, what do you want to do now? Split up?"

"Why would we do that?"

"I think Rishia and I should head off on our own." I suggested. "Our friend Indigo might be in danger, and we must look for him wherever he is. He is like a brother to me. He is like the son I never had."

"What about me?" Naofumi asked. "What do I do?"

"You should head with Kizuna to find Raphtalia and Filo. You're practically like their father, so it's your responsibility to do so."

"Wait, Satoshi." Kizuna asserted. "You sure you want to do this."

"Positive. I must do what it takes to save my family."

"Ah. Very well then. Anyways, how do you plan to cross the border?"

"I have a few methods up my sleeves. Don't worry. I'll be fine."

"If you insist." Kizuna sighed.

"Wait. Before you go."

I rummaged through my backpack for a bit. Ugh, where was it?

"It seems like I lost my portable wireless telegraphs. I swear I had two in here."

"Aww, seriously?" Naofumi and Kizuna complained.

"Well, Kizuna, can you tell me approximately where the country you were summoned is?"

Kizuna then proceeded to give me some approximate directions leading to her country.

"Well, Kizuna, it was nice meeting you. As soon as I find Indigo, I swear I'll find a way back to your country."

"Good luck out there, Satoshi! See you around!"

We strolled down the road until we hit a crossroads, where a town lay on one side and wilderness was on the other. I chose the latter path because there was a higher chance that Indigo landed in the vast wilderness than the sparse cities, and Naofumi and Kizuna chose the former in order to make some money.

After slaughtering scores of monsters along the road and in the numerous forests and rivers littering the landscape, we had finally reached the border. As far as I had seen, this world, or at least this country, was very similar to medieval japan. It was almost like a recreation of it.

Border guards were wandering around, keeping close tabs on all passersby. If I wanted to get across that wall, I would have to be creative. Rishia and I were around level 40 or so, so we might be able to barge through, but that would be too risky.

In the distance, I saw a stupid looking man that had two horses drawing a cart full of hay. Presumably he wanted to sell the hay in the next country over. This was a golden opportunity.

"Rishia! Come on!" I exclaimed as I dragged the girl through the forest and onto the road.

The man was taking a break and sitting on the side of the road. His head was slumped, and he was clearly worried about something.