XVIII : Real

Hi guys! How've you been? I hope you're all staying safe and taking care of yourselves.

Song above - Love Nwantiti (Remix). I am absolutely obsessed with this song. It's beautifully written. The music, the lyrics, the rhythm- all of it.

Chapter XVIII

Rose Rorieare Ruse

Rose Rorieare Ruse

The show was in the palace of Versailles. I should've known better than to come here. I was about to walk my first runway. That too, in a land allocated to vampires.

What was life?

Was I even sane any more? 

Every cell in my body was screaming, shouting one thing 'RUN'.

It was unsettling to know I was in a place crawling with bloodsuckers. One wrong move and it was over for me.

Tell me, why did I agree to this again?

Groaning internally, I winced as the hair dresser brought me back to planet earth.

He was tugging on my head so hard, hair spray flying all over the place I wanted to gag.

Everything had to be perfect tonight. 

My face was covered in makeup but not the kind that made it look caked. The makeup artist had done a phenomenal job. She had given me what she called the 'wicked cat-wing'. Instead of using eyeliner, she had drawn long smokey strokes along the curve of my eye to make them look more snatched.

My lips had been painted a rich burgundy, a bronze look on the rest of my face. They had gone heavy on the contours, ensuring my face looked sleek.

I hadn't minded any of it. They had been quite gentle on my face. It was Patrick, the hairstylist who was giving me a hard time.

If I ever made a protesting sound all he did was reply with a, "Your hair is very thick, it will take strength to style it."

Bitch, I was about to throw the blow dryer at his face.

I knew it was his job to make us look a certain way but damn was I already through with this. Any sort of pain would only bring back memories of the recent events of my life.

With everything that had occurred recently, I was only trying to ignore the trauma it had caused. A part of me was in denial, I wanted to act as normal as ever. My brain had dismissed those events entirely.

I knew that sooner or later, I'd have to deal with all that I was running from but for now, avoiding it was the only thing that kept me going. 

My only goal at the moment was getting the fuck out of Paris. I was clinging on to this last piece of hope rather desperately.