The Festival

(There are links inserted if you wish to play the music while you read along with the story)

There she was. Ahknrty was sitting in his window. His window. Elijah couldn't believe his eyes. Maybe they were just blurry from the tears in his eyes. Maybe he was hallucinating, or even better. Dreaming. He had to wake up. This had to be a dream right? It had to be.

"No, stop messing with me. I can't deal with this anymore. You know what, you're not real. Get out of my sight. You're not real!" Elijah said thinking he was hallucinating.

     Elijah was clenching the poems in his hands as if he was clenching hers, his tears staining the fragile paper causing the coal black ink to start dripping down the paper.

"Just... go away... Stop tormenting me." Elijah whispered looking down at the poems, relishing the times when they wrote them.

Ahknrty had a silly little smirk on her face and hopped down from the window sill, leaving trails of pure sunlight behind her making her look like an angel who came straight down from heaven just to greet Elijah. She slowly started walking towards Elijah. Elijah became wide eyed and tried backing away in his chair.

"Go away! Just go away! I can't take this anymore! Everytime I think you're there you're not. Go. Away!" Elijah yelled.

Ahknrty laid her hand on his shoulder in a way that was kind and gentle and looked him dead in the eyes. Her bright blue eyes meeting his teary dark chocolate brown eyes.

"I'm real.". Ahknrtys said in a gentle tone of voice as not to scare the prince.

"No no no no no no. You're not. I know you're not." Elijah said a little bit quieter still clenching onto the poems.

She then reached out her hand and cupped his face. " I promise. I'm real.". Her hands are very small, about the size of a small dinner plate. Her hands felt rough, and had calluses on them from the years of fighting she went through. It was quite calming in a way that calmed him down.

He then put his soft hand on top of hers. His hands were soft as silk, and almost twice the size of hers.
He took her hand off his cheek and held it in both his hands, staring down at it. Realizing he can feel the hand, he starts to realize. Maybe she was real. He then looked up at her with wide eyes, tears still falling down his face.

"Hi." she says while looking back down at him with the most comforting smile that makes anyone feel butterflies. As comforting as sitting in a field, under a tree while reading a book.

He got up as fast as he could, dropping the poems and before Ahknrty could even realize what was going on, he engulfed her in the biggest hug he could give. She immediately returned the hug, comforting him. The prince starts crying into the crook of her neck, as Ahknrty reaches up to play with his hair to calm him down. Elijah was basking in this moment, and refused to let go. He wanted to stay in this moment forever.

    Looking up at her, he spoke in hiccups.

    "How are you here? I saw you, I heard you! I heard you die! How are you here?".

    "It's a long story. What matters now is that I'm here." Ahknrty said letting go, going to sit on his bed and motioned him to sit next to her.

He looked her dead in the eye, and then looked at the bridge of her nose and her right eye. What he saw were two large scares that slashed her face. He reached up and ran his finger over them, feeling the difference between the soft skin on her face and the rough scars that have formed over the years.

"I can't believe you came back!" Elijah said happily, still wiping the tears out of his eyes.

I made a promise, didn't I? I'm so sorry I couldn't return sooner.". She said with a shy smile looking to the side with a hint of shame and guilt.