Episode Twenty Four

Writing Exam pt. 1

"You candidates from the Village Hidden in the sound," Ibiki Morino shouts as he points towards you and a group of Genin around you, "who permitted you for you to fight!? Do you want to fail before the test has begun!?"

You take a few steps back from the three Sound Genin, putting your kunai away before the proctor could drag you in with them.

"My apologies," the sound ninja that was covered from head to toe, save from the space that left his eye exposed, says, "this is our first time here, so we were a little jumpy."

Jumpy my ass, you think to yourself, and you walk over to Kabuto. "Are you alright," you ask him.

"Yeah, I'm alright," he says as he picks up his broken glasses, "it could have been worse."

"Alright, listen up," Ibiki shouts to the rest of the Genin, "while I am here, there will be no combat among candidates! Not without my permission! Even then, the use of fatal force is strictly forbidden! Any one of you that has a problem with that will have to deal with me."

The room goes silent from his statement, a silence broken by one of the Sound Genin. "No fatal force, huh," the other boy of the squad says with a smug look on his face, "well, that's no fun."

Is he a psychopath or something?

"Now we shall begin with the first stage of the Chunin Exams," Ibiki says as he puts his hands behind his back. "All of you hand over your paperwork, and in return, you will be given a number to determine where you will sit. We will start the written test once you are all seated."

"Did he just say...a written test," Naruto says as he looks towards the front of the classroom.

"Yep, that's what he said," you say to him, "a written test."

"No," Naruto cries out as he slams his fists against the ground, "please anything but that!"

"Oh, stop it," you say as you grab him by the back of his collar and pull him up, "it was going to be pretty obvious that they would test our knowledge first before actually sending us out into the action."

"But you know I'm not good at written tests!"

"I don't like them either, Naruto, but sometimes no one can't help these things. Now suck it up and get it done and over with."

One by one, each Genin turns in their application forms and receives a number for where they were going to sit. You held your number square in your hands as you searched around for the seat you were going to sit at. You and your squad were separated, making sense since they wouldn't want your squad to share information.

Once you reached the seat, you were supposed to sit at, and you found that Gaara was next to your seat.

"Hello," you say as you stand by your seat, "looks like we'll be sitting next to each other."

He responds to you with just a look from the corner of his eye, staying silent and keeping his arms crossed.

You tap your hand against the number block. "Good talk." You sit down in your chair just as the proctor's assistants pass around the sheets of paper and pencils. The paper was set to face down so no one could see the questions.

Everything had put you on edge, even if you couldn't tell.

You tap your fingers against the top of the table as your leg bounces up and down.

"Stop that," Gaara says as he keeps facing forward, "it's distracting."

"Oh, I'm sorry," you say, "I'm just a little nervous, that's all."