xxᴠɪ.

ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴡɪᴛᴄʜ

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ: xxᴠɪ.

Thazina wasn't sure she had ever seen something so horrible as what was left of Sodden Hill. Bodies littered the grass, all in various states of dead or dying. As she, Cirilla, and Geralt made the trek along the field, Thazina found herself stopping to close the eyes of fallen mages. Every so often, Geralt's voice rose above the ringing in her ears to call out, "Yennefer!"

She was enveloped in heat. It was as though there was molten magma flowing through her veins and a part of her was desperate to feel it still. Was this, she wondered, why fire magic was forbidden? Was she doomed now to chase the feeling of power that had overwhelmed her as she and Yennefer burned down Sodden's forest?

She couldn't about that. Right now, all she could think about was Ciri, keeping her safe, making sure Geralt would fulfill his duty to her.

Just ahead, she heard an all too familiar voice, high with desperation and anguish as it split through the silence, "Yennefer!"

"Tissaia!"

The word slipped out before she could stop it, and then she was running, nearly tripping over her skirts as she reached her old rectoress, hardly hearing Ciri as the girl noted, "I've seen this."

Thazina felt tears in her eyes as Tissaia drew her close, letting her bury her face in her shoulder. The woman kept a protective arm about her as Geralt stepped forward, amber eyes locking with Tissaia's blue ones.

"Where is Yennefer?" he asked.

"And who are you to her, exactly?" Tissaia replied.

"Is she alive?"

To that, Tissaia had no answer. Her expression was enough, her lip quivering as she squeezed Thazina just a bit tighter. Finally, she took a breath, looking toward Thazina as she said, "We won. Because of her. Because of both of you. They bought us time until the armies arrived."

Geralt's voice was cold as he answered, "Was it worth it?"

His ire was shortlived, however, as he looked at Thaz, clinging to Tissaia as though she was the only thing keeping her standing. "Thazina," he said. "Come on."

She managed a nod, taking in a weak breath. She didn't miss the way Tissaia held on even as she unraveled herself from the older woman's arms, fingers clinging to her wrist until she pulled away. Somewhere, a dying man screamed, the sound echoing in Thazina's ears as she let Geralt help her onto Roach's back.

"Yennefer," Ciri said as they began walking once more. "Can you please tell me who she is?"

"Doesn't matter," Geralt answered stiffly. "She's gone now."