xxɪɪ.

ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴡɪᴛᴄʜ

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ: xxɪɪ.

Cirilla was roaming the castle. Thazina took her chance to speak to Mousesack, her eyes frantic as she told him in a low voice, "Eist is dead. Nilfgaard is winning the fight, they will be here by the end of the day. The ships from Skellige are not coming."

"When did you see?" he asked.

"I saw through Calanthe's eyes not an hour ago. We have to protect Cirilla. I don't know how the queen fares."

He nodded stiffly.

When the remnants of the army staggered in bleeding and broken, Cirilla still had not returned. Calanthe found Mousesack and Thazina, her eyes frantic, her emotions running high. "... a hundred arrows on my body first!" she was shouting as she broke down into sobs.

"Your majesty, what must..." Mousesack was saying, but Thazina forced his voice away as she lowered beside Calanthe, trying to examine the injury she had sustained.

"No!" Calanthe stated. "No, don't touch me!"

"My Queen, please," Thazina urged. "Let me- -"

The door burst open, Cirilla stepping inside, freezing as she processed the scene in front of her. Calanthe, bleeding, crying. Thazina's shaking hands as she tried to venture closer.

Cirilla ran to her grandmother, tears filling her eyes as she lowered beside her, taking Calanthe by the hand.

"My sweet child," Calanthe said, her voice weak. "Careful. Careful."

Cirilla let out a strained sob as Calanthe said, "Cintra is under attack. Eist is dead." She took Cirilla's face in her hands, smoothing a thumb along her cheek.

Thazina balled her hands into tight fists, feeling her nails sink into the familiar crescent-moon shaped scars on her palms.

"Nilfgaard have made their way into the city," Calanthe continued.

"Why?" Cirilla asked through her tears.

Calanthe didn't answer. She looked toward Danek instead. "The citizens... how many of them are safe within our walls?"

"A hundred or so, Your Majesty," Danek answered. "The guests from the banquet."

Calanthe took in a shuddering breath. "The supplies... check we have enough."

Supplies. Poison, she meant, to make it gentler on them.