ᴠɪ.

ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴡɪᴛᴄʜ

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ: ᴠɪ.

"All rise for Her Majesty, the Lioness, Queen Calanthe of Cintra!"

The herald's voice rang out in the hall as everyone who was seated got to their feet, turning their attention to Queen Calanthe, who had just returned from her latest battle, dressed in her golden armor, blood spattering her face and a proud smile on her face.

She tossed her helmet back to one of the men following her, grabbing a cup from a passing servant. "Beer!" she said, grinning as the crowd erupted into cheers. "Apologies, noble sirs. A few upstart townships in the south needed reminding who was Queen." The statement earned laughter and more good-natured cheering. "I find it's good for one's blood and humors. Ready your suitor's tales of glory, good lords. My daughter is eager to have this over with. As am I."

She rounded on the man who had accompanied Geralt, who had taken a place among the musicians. "Bard, music!" she instructed.

He swept into a bow before striking up a soft, mournful song. He had barely gotten a word out before Calanthe stated, "No, no, no! A jig! You can save your bloody maudlin nonsense for my funeral."

The bard complied, spinning to face the other musicians. "Three, four..."

Thazina smiled at the sound of the music, lively and exciting.

She sent Calanthe a grin, raising her own cup in a gesture of goodwill.

She glanced at Pavetta, who looked less than impressed with the whole affair, staring her mother down as Calanthe muttered something to her.

Thazina's smile faltered for a moment, but she brought it back quickly enough, making toward Geralt, who was watching the musicians. "It's a wonderful party," she said. "Can you tear your eyes off of that bard long enough to have some conversation?"

He snorted at that. "What do you think of his singing?"

"Quite good, I'd say. Though I love most music, so I may not be the best judge," she answered.

He turned to face her better, giving her a brief once-over. "Why not talk Calanthe out of this feast, if you know it doesn't end with Pavetta marrying one of these lordlings?"

"I told you," Thazina said. "We needed a party. Even mages have to have fun some times. The drinking, the singing, the dancing. It's all chaos, and that's where my magic comes from."

"So you're hoping to do some tricks tonight?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. "Warn me if you decide to light the room on fire."