xx.

ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴡɪᴛᴄʜ

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ: xx.

There was a grand feast that night. Thazina sat at her spot at the high table, watching the lords and ladies dance at the center of the hall as musicians played loudly.

Eist spoke softly as he leaned to speak to Mousesack beside her. "These shindigs need a touch of the old abracadabra."

Thazina rolled her eyes slightly. She would have loved a chance to show off her skill, but Calanthe always wanted her to hold back, to keep her magic well-stored for her visions so she could see deeper.

It was a bit taxing on Mousesack since that meant he was the only one with magic doing much work in the palace.

But he smiled and looked at Eist, speaking pleasantly all the same. "At your service, Your Majesty. Tricks and illusions to delight."

Calanthe wasn't having it. "He means to pull a disappearing act," she said, eyes landing on Eist. "Don't you?"

"No," Eist answered, a bit too quickly for Calanthe's liking.

"Hm," Calanthe said, the faintest hint of a smile on her face.

Thazina tapped her fingers to the beat of the music as Eist spoke softly to Calanthe. "I saw the Wraiths of Mörhogg over the channel this morning."

"Yes, you mentioned," Calanthe said with a sigh.

Recognition tugged at the back of Thazina's mind. She'd heard this conversation before, many years ago. She had been telling her mother about it when Tissaia arrived and took her away from her home.

"Who?" Cirilla asked.

Her question was ignored. "No good will come of it," Eist stated. "They're an omen of war."

"The North has been at war since Nilfgaard took Ebbing. If legend is true, the Wild Hunt's years behind the curve. If you're so concerned, I'll make sure Thazina thinks of it tonight."

"The Nilfgaardian forces crossed the Amell Pass," Eist said.

"Headed to Sodden, if they're smart," Calanthe answered. "And if not, fifty of your Skelligen ships are on the way. We have more knights. We are prepared in case- -"

"Prepared for what?" Cirilla pressed.

Calanthe hesitated, shaking her head. "Nothing for you to be concerned about."

"Your dismissive tone says it is," Cirilla stated.

"We're talking of war, girl," Eist said.