xxx.

ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴡɪᴛᴄʜ

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ: xxx.

Geralt and Thazina agreed it'd be best to keep quiet until they had more information. Thazina knew there was a part of Geralt that wouldn't want to admit that Nivellen might put them in danger. They were, after all, friends.

Nivellen didn't even seem to notice that anything was amiss as he handed Thazina and Geralt cups, stating, "Finest mead from the rarest Korathian desert honey."

Thazina chuckled taking a small sip, while Geralt offered, "Let's play a drinking game."

"Oh, now we're talking!" Nivellen said. "What sort?"

Geralt smiled, taking a long drink from his cup. "We throw daggers. Whoever misses your dear father's head drinks... and tells a truth. Thazina can keep score."

"Well, I won't spare your pride just for the lady's sake. Prepare to lose," Nivellen stated, smiling as he summoned an assortment of throwing knives. "You first."

Thazina settled into a chair to watch as Geralt selected a dagger. He adjusted his footing, took aim, and threw.

The point sank into the painting just to the right of the head. Nivellen's laughter filled the parlor. "Let's start with the obvious," he said, handing Geralt his ale. "How in the name of all that's sacred... how did you find yourself looking after a young girl?"

"I promised her grandmother before she died. The Law of Surprise brought us together," Geralt answered easily.

"Ah, that devious old chestnut," Nivellen said. "The plot thickens." Satisfied with the answer, Nivellen hurled his dagger forward, watching the blade sink into his father's temple. 

Geralt went again.

Too far to the left.

"Another obvious one," Nivellen said. "Who's she to you?" He waved a hand toward Thazina.

Geralt glanced to the mage, shaking his head as said, "She's very important to me. And she's important to Ciri. I can keep them both safe. You said so yourself, the world is changing." Nivellen raised a prodding eyebrow, but Geralt just chuckled. "Your turn."

Nivellen next throw was another hit to the head. "Bull's eye," he said, grinning, passing another knife over to Geralt.

Too high. "You've become a lightweight, old friend," Nivellen laughed.

"So it seems," replied Geralt. "The mage might have a better go of it than me."

"You spend a lifetime alone, then you claim a child of an ancient promise of destiny, and you bring along a girl," Nivellen began. "What changed you?"

Thazina flushed as she felt Geralt's eyes on her. "Who," he corrected.

Nivellen smiled. "Ooh-hoo-hoo!" He looked at Thazina, continuing, "You must be something special if you've cracked the icy witcher's heart."

"Wasn't easy," Thazina answered. "He can be a proper arse sometimes."

That earned a laugh as Nivellen made to refill her cup of ale. "Well," he said, "You're a brave woman indeed."

As the game continued, Nivellen began to laugh harder and harder, not even realizing that Geralt hadn't hit the target even once, too excited in his own victories to realize that the probability of it made no sense at all.

"Anything else?" Geralt asked as he missed yet another throw. "I have nothing to hide."

"From me, maybe," Nivellen answered. "But have you told the girl the truth?"

Seeing the confusion in Geralt's face, Nivellen elaborated. "That witchers obtain children so they can feed them with magic herbs. The few who survive become witchers themselves. All human feelings and reactions are trained out of them. They are turned into monsters to kill other monsters."

"That's not going to happen to her," Geralt stated.

"But it happened to you. For better or worse, she's with you now. How does she feel about it?"

Geralt's face screwed up with annoyance. Nivellen didn't miss it. "Ooh! The look of a man who's worried he's lost his touch."

"Hmm." Geralt leaned to draw a knife from his boot, sending it flying forward, directly into the center of the painting's face. "The look of a man who's wondering why his old friend is cheating."

Nivellen swallowed hard. "You've got me there!" he said, letting out a laugh. "Magic knives."

Geralt offered a small smile. "But why?" he asked. "I've seen you piss yourself in a wyvern den. I know who you truly are. What are you hiding now?"

At that, Nivellen scoffed. "I need to drain the snake and hit the silk," he said, rising to his feet. "Go to sleep, you sullen old codger. See you in the morning."

Geralt watched him as he left, disappearing into his own room. Thazina sighed, daring to ask, "What if it's nothing?"

"It's not nothing," Geralt replied. "I know Nivellen. He's hiding something."

"We could just go to sleep," she offered. "Leave in the morning."

But even as she said it, she knew it wasn't going to happen like that. Geralt was too stubborn, and now that he knew something was amiss, he was going to figure out what it was no matter what it took. He shook his head, and Thazina sighed. "Well," she said. "I'm at least going to get some sleep while I can. Do try to do the same, Geralt."

He caught her wrist as she made to pass him, forcing her to turn and meet his gaze. She smiled despite herself, leaning to kiss him softly on the cheek. "Goodnight, Geralt," she said.

He seemed to consider for a moment before he pulled her close to kiss her properly, a faint smile playing at his lips when they drew apart. "Sleep well, Thaz."

"I love you," she said.

Geralt just smiled.