ɪᴠ.

ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴡɪᴛᴄʜ

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ: ɪᴠ.

The event was still in full swing. Thazina had a renewed excitement as she danced another waltz with Dagorad. He had agreed to take her on as his mage. It seemed that the talk of her visions had been enough to convince him.

She had just led him through a twirl when her eyes landed on the doorway to reveal what could only be Yennefer, enchanted, beautiful, violet eyes bright and flashing, dark hair spilling around her shoulders in waves. No longer the scared girl with the twisted spine but a young woman standing with all the grace and power and beauty that a mage required. Her dress was black and left little to the imagination, but she looked amazing.

Thazina's eyes went wide. She dropped Dagorad's hand. "Yenn?" she asked, her voice too soft for anyone to hear her.

The hall had gone quiet. Tissaia was frozen in place.

Yennefer walked across the dance floor toward Fringilla and King Virfuril, who she was originally meant to be a mage to before Tissaia had changed all of the plans. Tissaia was moving to intercept but Yennefer's plan was already in motion as she stared into Virfuril's eyes.

He was already entranced as she said, "Yennefer of Vengerberg."

"My apologies, Your Excellence," Tissaia interjected quickly before it could go any further, but Virfuril was kissing Yennefer's hand as she spoke. "Please allow me to remove this misguided girl."

"Now, what sort of a king refuses a dance with one of his subjects?" Virfuril asked. He looked back toward Yennefer. "Vengerberg? Are you aware that I'm in the market for just such a mage?"

"On your lead, Your Excellence," Yennefer answered, drawing him to the dance floor, Fringilla and Tissaia watching on with wide eyes.

Thazina caught Yennefer's eye, raising a brow in her direction.

Yennefer simply shrugged in response, starting her dance with Virfuril.

Fringilla ran from the room, and Thazina contemplated following but thought better of it. She would have to keep up appearances, not seem weak and compelled to leave her duties.

Instead, she grabbed a drink from a passing tray, draining it in one sip before she pulled Dagorad back into a dance to at least occupy her mind.

Even still, it was nearly impossible to look away from Yennefer. And all of the others knew it. Sabrina, Tissaia, the members of the Brotherhood, the boys from Ban Ard.

Thazina couldn't help but wonder just how Yennefer had gotten herself enchanted. She shouldn't have been able to. All of the girls had had their turn, the time should have been up, the enchanter should have put away his tools. Yennefer should have lost her chance, and yet here she was, clearly enchanted.

And dancing with King Virfuril, who Fringilla was meant to serve but it did not look like that would be how it turned out.

"Did your visions show you that?" Dagorad asked, a faint smile playing at his lips.

"No," Thazina answered. "Not at all. I haven't seen her in any of my visions so far."

"Is that a good thing?"

A shiver went down Thazina's spine. She suddenly felt like the room had gotten several degrees colder in mere moments.

"I don't know," she admitted.

She finished the dance and took a few steps back, hands shaking as she grabbed another glass, draining it entirely.

She waited for the next moment Yennefer was alone, grabbing the other mage by the wrist and pulling her into a corner, speaking in a hushed, anxious whisper. "How did you do this?"

"Gilitine did all the work," Yennefer answered simply. "I just let him shape me."

"He was supposed to put away the herbs, no one else was to get enchanted."

"I went without the herbs."

Thazina's eyes went terribly wide. "You could endure the pain?"

"I can endure more than Tissaia thinks," Yennefer stated, her voice suddenly firm.

Thazina took a breath. "You look amazing," she said. "I'm happy for you."

Yennefer's hard exterior seemed to fall for just a moment. "Really?"

"Yes. Certainly. Better than any of the rest of us." Yennefer laughed softly at that, letting Thazina reach to take her hand. "You're destined for great things, Yenn. I know it."

"Did your visions tell you that?"

Thazina shook her head.

"No. But I'm sure they will someday."