xɪx.

ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴡɪᴛᴄʜ

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ: xɪx.

Thazina stood at the edge of the square, hands folded neatly together behind her back as she watched Princess Cirilla play a game of knucklebones with some of the local village children. She laughed slightly as the twelve-year-old grabbed for the prize, a loaf of bread, stopping the boy who had made to take it. "Not yet," Cirilla said.

"There's no way you can get five," the boy answered.

"You're not taking a bite of that bread before I try," Cirilla stated.

She stopped for a moment, gazing past Thazina and around a corner. Thazina followed her gaze but saw nothing.

"Better throw those knuckles," one of the boys urged Cirilla, who shook herself out of her daze and did as told.

Her face screwed up distastefully at her failure, earning a chorus of laughter from the boys. "Told you," one said.

Thazina chuckled faintly. Cirilla never liked losing.

She glanced up at the sound of hoofbeats, eyes falling on Lazlo, the princess's sworn protector, and a small herd of royal guards. Sympathy hit her as she saw the realization on Cirilla's face. The child loved to stay out beyond the castle walls.

"I didn't steal the bread." One of the boys cried as Lazlo grew closer. "Korin did!" He looked to the others with wide eyes. "Quick, quick!"

"Hey, shut up, you twat!" one of the others, presumably Korin, snapped as the group hurried away, leaving Cirilla to stare after her friends.

Thazina moved to her side, taking the princess by the shoulder.

"You need to come with us," Lazlo told Cirilla with a small smile.

"So soon, Lazlo?" Thazina asked. "She's hardly had any time out here at all."

"Yes, so soon," Lazlo replied, barely sparing a glance in Thazina's direction.

Cirilla's face screwed up in anger, but she did as told.

Once back at the castle, she dressed in more proper attire, rather than the rough, boyish clothes she wore when she visited the square. Thazina escorted her to the great hall, where new knights were being inducted for their bravery and their gallantness, certainly not because the realm was on the very verge of war with Nilfgaard.

Thazina stood by, silent, unmoving, listening to Queen Calanthe's words. The woman could certainly have the pomp and regality that a Queen required, no matter how brutal she could be on the battlefield. Thazina felt a surge of pride watching her.