xxᴠɪɪ.

ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴡɪᴛᴄʜ

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ: xxᴠɪɪ.

By the time morning broke, it felt like the fire in Thazina's lungs had dissipated, leaving her gasping for air from Roach's back, earning concerned glances from Geralt and Ciri as they trekked through the dense forest. 

"So," Ciri said, looking down at Geralt, "What exactly is Kaer Morhen?"

"It's where witchers go during the winter," Geralt replied. "There, we can rest up and heal. Replace armor and elixirs. It's my home."

"How come I've never heard of it?"

"Because we like it that way."

Cirilla considered a moment before asking, "Why?"

"There was an attack," Geralt answered with a sigh. "A long time ago, when I was a boy. Almost wiped us all out. So now, we like to keep a low profile."

"Hmm," Ciri said. "In Cintra, I used to dress up like a boy just so I could play knucklebones. Thaz always came with me, but I made her stay far away so no one would notice her."

At that, Geralt chuckled. "We both need to keep a low profile, it seems," he said.

Ciri smiled faintly, though it faltered as she asked, "Were you attacked because you're different?"

"Sure," said Geralt. "We can't see the future like you and Thaz. Back on the battlefield, when you saw me and that woman before it happened."

Ciri swallowed thickly. "Yes, well, it was- - it was more like a dream." She looked back at Thaz as she spoke. "Like how you get your visions, but... hazy. It was- - it was weird."

Thazina nodded. "They start that way," she said. "If... when... you have more visions, they'll become clearer. You'll start to be able to guess- -"

She fell silent at the sight of a dead deer lying in the snow. Its stomach was torn open, entrails on show. "Poor thing," Thazina said, sparing a glance at Geralt as he moved to grab a knife from the saddlebag.

Roach began to writhe in protest, pulling at the reins as Geralt handed them up to Ciri. He raised a hand to the mare, speaking gently. "Easy," he said, curling his fingers inward. In an instant, the animal calmed.

"How did you do that?" Ciri asked.

"It's called axii," Geralt replied simply. "It's a calming sign."

"Magic. Like- - like a druid or a mage?"

"Not really."