xɪᴠ.

ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴡɪᴛᴄʜ

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ: xɪᴠ.

Sir Eyck's stomach was starting to rumble, loud enough for Thazina to hear across the fire. "Oh dear," he said, voice weak. He started to slowly rise to his feet. "Um... I'm afraid I must take my leave. Lady Yennefer, may I escort you to your tent?"

"Will you be joining me?" Yenn asked.

"Uh... My Lady, I would... never degrade your honor in such a way," he replied, offering a weak smile that didn't meet his panicked eyes as his stomach groaned once more.

Jaskier snorted. "I hate to break it to you, but that ship has sailed, wrecked and sunk to the bottom of the ocean," he said, earning a hit to the chest from Geralt. "Ow."

Sir Eyck stumbled back. "Oh... I need a shit." And then he was off, disappearing into the brush.

Jaskier was laughing the whole while and Thazina had to contain her smile.

"So, shall we tell the poor bastard that he's vying for a vassal state that won't exist in a decade?" Yarpen spoke up.

"States rise and fall like the tide," Geralt said. "Nothing new."

"This is fuckin' new!" Yarpen stated. "The rightful son of Nilfgaard has returned, burnin' through the south."

"With Fringilla as his mage," Yennefer added. She laughed. "Nilfgaard's a joke."

"You can't deny Fringilla's ability," Thazina pointed out. "If she were at a better-suited kingdom, she would have thrived."

"But she wasn't sent to another kingdom," Yennefer said with a shrug. "She was sent to Nilfgaard."

"I saw it with my own eyes down in Ebbing," Yarpen said. "Those zealot freaks are inching closer by the day. Won't be long till they try and take Sodden. Next it'll be Temeria. Redania. Cintra."

"No," Jaskier said, stopping Thazina who had opened her mouth to speak. "Queen Calanthe would die before letting them take what's hers."

Thazina nodded her agreement.

Borch was the next to speak. "Perhaps if Nilfgaard's religious zeal had been tempered earlier by a stronger hand..." He looked toward Yennefer. He knew about what had happened at Aretuza. How?

Yenn offered him a tense smile, getting to her feet. "If you'll excuse me, I must get my beauty sleep."

Yarpen stood as well. "I don't think it'll make me prettier, but I need sleep too."