Chapter 17

Chi Kook was waiting nervously at the exit of the airport. Ba Reum's aunt had called him back to tell him that she had scheduled her flight and asked if someone could give her a ride once she arrived back in Korea. Of course Chi Kook didn't hesitate for a second.

The thought of his innocent friend staying even an hour longer in jail really disturbed him. If there was one person he trusted, it was Ba Reum. He couldn't imagine how he is feeling right now, knowing how much Ba Reum trusted in justice before.

Chi Kook could only hope it wouldn't darken the mind of Ba Reum too much to have that trust broken.

"Chi Kook, how are you doing?" Ba Reum's aunt asked him when he got in the car. He gave a brave smile.

"I'm fine. It's Ba Reum we have to be concerned about now." He said her, and she nodded.

"Of course. I got the documents we need right here. Just bring me to the police station." She said. She didn't look worried at all, and that made Chi Kook feel a bit better. That must mean that she was sure to be able to solve the misunderstanding.

The ride didn't take long, and Chi Kook asked her some questions about how she was doing in the USA, but they both noticed his thoughts weren't with it and soon they lapsed in silence.

"I'll wait for you here." Chi Kook said and she walked inside the building. He had made a scene already at the desk, and he didn't want to negatively influence the meeting.

She stepped up to the receptionist and asked to see the detective in charge of the Jung Ba Reum case, saying that she had crucial evidence. The receptionist bid her too wait, but the detective quickly came and took her in an interrogation room.

"So, you claim to be Jung Ba Reum's aunt." The man said when they were seated.

"Well, I'm not his biological aunt." She said, making the man look startled at him.

"Mister Jung never said you weren't his biological aunt." The man said, flipping through his files, already looking a bit taken aback.

"I don't know if he knows, actually. You see, his mother and me, we were the best of friends, almost better then sisters. So when she died, I knew Ba Reum had nowhere to go, so I adopted him. I told him I was his aunt." She said.

"Do you have any proof of this?"

"Of course I do. Here is his original birth certificate, the name chance certificate and the adoption papers. And my family registry papers." She handed over the copies of the documents and she saw the man look through them, halfway in a panic.

"We had a phone call that he had killed his parents."

"His parents died when he was young. I think the culprit was recently caught. I read it in the newspaper that it was because Choi Young Shin wanted them dead." She said and saw the man's eyes narrow even further.

"Well, we thank you for the news. We'll look into it further." And she was unceremoniously led away. She glared at the man, knowing that he wasn't going to do anything with the information she had brought. She just knew these kind of people.

"So, how did it go?" Chi Kook asked when she returned to the car.

"I think we'll have to convince them a bit further." She said, "can you bring me towards the broadcasting station. I think I need to talk to a journalist."

Hong Ju brought the woman and young man a cup of coffee and then seated in front of them, opening her laptop to take notes.

"So, you are saying that Jung Ba Reum is innocent?" she said.