Chapter 21

The news was buzzing that week when the NIS announced that they had arrested a serial killer. The president was proud to announce that they had expertly caught the man, even before normal people knew that there was a serial killer; Apparently he strangled woman and then pretended it was a burglar who caught them or a stalker.

This had been going on for years, but thanks to some crucial evidence, they had been able to connect the dots. The current party was happy now. They needed some good new after the Choi Young Shin debacle.

The lawyer was brought to court with the damning evidence, and at first he tried to deny it all, claiming he was an innocent. Even his father pretended it was him that killed them, but they had movies of him effectively murdering someone.

No one had known that it had been a serial killer and a lot of people were shocked when they heard the news, but happy he got arrested. People who knew the man were surprised.

The thing was, he was a lawyer and some of the people he defended got the idea in their head that since he was an evil psychopath, he wanted to put innocent people behind bars. That's why they had a bad defence and they shouted out their innocence harder than before, wanting to get a new case.

Some people followed these thoughts, and a new string of cases were held on the back of this. The current party needed the popularity.

When Ba Reum saw it happen on television, he cursed at himself.

He had vaguely thought about that man, how could he forgot, but he didn't think he had started to kill so early. He had been forming a plan to slowly get rid of him, using the body of the little girl they had found and thought it was Park Duk Seo's daughter.

He had just not gotten around to it yet, still wondering how he was going to let a DNA test be done on the right people.

But now, the man was already arrested. He wondered how they found out? Perhaps a member of OZ wanted to get rid of the psychopath's they had been following, now that they wouldn't have the evidence they needed to get rid of all the foetuses with the gene.

Ba Reum decided that he would give some closure at least, and posted an anonymous letter to the NIS, who were on top of this case, to tell them that the rope knot killer had made his first victim years ago.

He had to rewrite the letters a few times, because he had been developing a sort of twitch in his hands lately. He guessed that it was just another symptom of his failing brain and he would just have to bear it, together with the headaches.

He put the letter to the side, sighing when he went and got another pain killer. The herbal teas were helping with keeping the edge off, but it seemed that it will never totally disappear. He put the letter to the side, ready to post it tomorrow before work.

During the week, he kept noticing that the twitch was getting a bit more pronounced. He had even spilled some coffee on his uniform when a sudden spasm made him almost drop the pot. Of course his colleagues had just laughed it off as him being clumsy, but Ba Reum knew better than that.

Normally he wasn't clumsy at all.

And when the weekend came by, he just hoped that it wouldn't mess him up too much. They weren't generally frequent or that inconvenient, but this weekend they would do their show in the prison, and he needed the finesse in his hands to not mess up the show.

The closer it came to the day of the show, the more nervous he became. This had been such a turning point for him last time. He had gotten the confidence to kill Chi Kook there, and with that set himself on a path to meddle with the investigation against him.