Chapter 19

Ba Reum woke up early in the morning and stretched, happy to lie in his own familiar bed instead of the uncomfortable holding cell. He stayed lying in it for a few moments longer, just staring at the ceiling, enjoying the heat of the blankets. He frowned a bit when he couldn't remember how he got to bed.

He was sure that Chi Kook and Dong Koo had been here. He couldn't remember them leaving either. He probably had been falling asleep and they told him to go to sleep or something. He must have been to sleep addled to realise it.

His head started to hurt again and he finally got out of the bed, quickly going to the medicine cabinet and taking another painkiller and a stomach soother at the same time.

When he arrived in the kitchen, he stopped short for a moment, seeing the food put on the table, all covered with plastic wrap to keep fresh. He looked at the scene and he could feel his heart squeeze a little.

One more proof of how he didn't deserve his friends.

He ate his breakfast and it tasted delicious. Just the thoughts that his friends cared so much about him to put this ready for him made it taste better than anything he had ever eaten. He would deny the tears that formed in his eyes when he ate.

After he finished and cleaned up, putting the leftover in his fridge for later, he looked at the calendar and saw that it was Sunday. The time had blurred together in the cell. He hesitated for a small moment, but left the house anyway.

He had promised to himself to participate in the charity as long as they wanted to have him. He still had to make amends to his victims, a week in jail didn't release him from that. Chi Kook and Dong Koo had told him about the show about his case and he was a bit afraid that now his face was shown on TV, some people might think he was indeed a criminal.

When he arrived at the site, the first thing he did was look up the person in charge and ask him if it was still okay if Ba Reum joined them.

"Of course that's fine with us. Are you sure you're up to it though?" the man asked, looking in concern at Ba Reum, "you had quite a tough week right?"

Ba Reum smiled a bit embarrassed at the man, rubbing the back of his head.

"It was tough, but it was just for a week. The people here have so much more difficulties than me. I would feel double guilty about not helping them." He said and the other man laughed at his explanation and send him off to help.

Ba Reum laughs and jokes a bit with the other people and most of them seem to be welcoming of him, even if he has only been here once before. They all express their happiness that he got out of jail, being offended on his behalf.

He was surprised though when he heard Yo Han's voice and he looked over. A small area had been cleared and screens had been put up. Some people were sitting nearby, and Yo Han had just called one of them.

"Ah yes, your friend was here already early this morning. He asked if he could have an area where he can do free consults. It's so good to have a doctor here." One of the other volunteers said, grinning, "a lot of those people don' have the chance to go to one."

"That's wonderful." Ba Reum said and then Yo Han spotted him and he waved at Ba Reum, before going to see his patient.

Both man worked a couple of hours more before they got their break. Yo Han joined Ba Reum at the table.

"So, how is it going?" Yo Han started the conversation awkwardly.

"Good enough." Ba Reum said, snorting at the shy behaviour of the other man, "and you?"

"Good enough I guess."

"So, you came on your own today?"

"Yeah. All those people who have no access to a doctor. It's really heart-breaking." Yo Han said. They ate, talking a bit about the work they had been doing here, until Yo Han asked a question.