december 19

song of the day: Silent Night

"I need to talk to you," Lily told James after tapping his shoulder at lunch. "Meet me in the library after lunch."

James looked up at her. She was expressionless. "Okay."

She nodded and went back to her spot beside Matthew, who had made her sit with him.

"Why did you choose the library this time?" James asked after lunch. No one else was there, not even Madam Pince, the librarian.

"It's just a nice place, and hardly anyone is in the castle anymore. Anywhere can be private, really."

"Anyway, what is it you wanted to tell me?"

Lily took his hand in hers, and James imagined wedding rings in them once again. "I think I've made a decision about marrying Matthew or not, and-"

"Can we not talk about this now?" He cut her off. "It's just- what we have is so special, and so much fun, and I don't want it to be over."

"James," Lily's eyes were pleading. "Please. I need to tell you what I've decided."

"Not yet. You still have five days, and I can change your mind." James was already resorting to denial in his head, creating a huge barrier blocking out any negative thoughts.

Lily took a deep breath, blew her nose with a napkin, and let go of his hand. "What do you want to do instead then?"

James smiled at her. This was a different smile, unlike his usual cocky, charming smile. This one was genuine, but in a different way, small, and caring. And he said, "Read me a story."