five: not welcome here

My headache has dulled by the time I finish my expulsion of tears in the shower so I wrap my towel around my body and keep the cap on my head

My headache has dulled by the time I finish my expulsion of tears in the shower so I wrap my towel around my body and keep the cap on my head. I have half a mind to just apply lotion on my body and crawl back into bed considering I have nothing else to do, but the other part of me can't stand to be sad anymore.

I don't want to think about what the past six years have done to me mentally.

With that, I exit my bathroom and make my way to the open floor. Except, when I turn the corner to my living room, a gasp of shock escapes me and instinct pushes me to reach behind my TV and grab one of my hidden guns.

Standing at the point between my kitchen and my living room is the same face I parted ways with just last night. Luciano turns to look at me with furrowed brows though I can see the nonchalance regarding the weapon aimed at him.

"What the hell are you doing in my apartment?" I exclaim, still keeping my gun trained on him in case he does something crazy. Well, crazier than breaking into my place.

He points to my door, "You are aware your door was unlocked? I came to ask you for coffee since you weren't at work — because that's what friends do apparently — I knocked, you didn't answer, and I thought something happened to you."

That tracks. The locks haven't been working for a couple of weeks and I can't get them fixed without permission from my landlord and he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

I lower my weapon and place it back into its hiding spot.

"What happened to waiting outside?" I question, propping my hands up on my hips.

"I repeat," He starts, "I thought something happened to you. Then I walked in and heard the shower — I was about to leave but then you walked out in ..." His eyes roam my body, slowly yet in a way that made me fight to freeze in my spot, "It's obvious I'm not welcome here."

He goes to leave but I hold a hand up, "No, just give me a minute to get dressed. I'd actually prefer hanging out with you than being here alone so ..." I walk past him, feeling his eyes stuck on me as I pull up the partition behind me.

I close my eyes. What just happened?

I've seen women in far less material than Remi's current towel situation

I've seen women in far less material than Remi's current towel situation. Yet I can't take my eyes off her through the sliver of the open partition. I track the expanse of her back when she pulls the towel off — it's scarred, much like mine — littered with healed wounds and pigmented skin that usually signifies a burn.

Her skin is marred ...

What happened to her?

I tell myself to look away. She deserves her privacy.

With that, I turn and face her kitchen, eyes scanning her belongings. There's not many sentimental things — a corny decorative quote hung up here and there. No family photographs, none of herself. Just a sense of loneliness in the air.

My mind goes to the gun hiding behind her TV. Of course, she's a woman living in one of the most dangerous cities, I'm not surprised she's armed and I wouldn't be surprised if she had more around the place. If not, I'm sure I can hook her up.

"What's the real reason you're here, Luca?" She questions from her room as I awkwardly stand in her living room. The apartment is comfortable — tiny but comfortable.

I sigh, "I told you — coffee."

I hear as she exits her bedroom area, a pair of fuzzy socks on her feet and her hair pulled back into a slick puff. It's thick, reaching the middle of her back and seems to accentuate her clear skin. She wears an oversized hoodie and a pair of matching joggers — somewhat matching my current outfit.

I tilt my head, "How original."

"What, you wanna search my closet too?" She chuckles as she drops her pair of shoes from her hand onto the floor. "Because I definitely went shopping last night after getting inspired by your fashion choices. I just paid for the eight-hour shipping because I can afford it."

I roll my eyes at her attempt at a joke, "Ha ha."

She scoffs and slips her feet into her sneakers with ease before grabbing her keys from the bowl on her counter and throwing them into her bag.

That reminds me, "Are you planning on getting your locks fixed?"

She shrugs making me furrow my brows. "That's a question for my landlord. He hasn't gotten back to me about it."

"Where does your landlord live? I'll talk to him."

"No, don't." She sighs in an exasperated manner, stepping closer to me with an arched brow, "It's not worth it. I'll just wait."

"Your safety is worth it, Remi."

My eyes catch hers and luckily, I hold her gaze long enough for them to soften. A moment passes before she blinks and looks away.

"Fine. You're right." I could see that pained her to say. "I'll talk to him later."

I tilt my head at her, "I'll accompany you."

She looks like she's ready to argue but my intense stare makes her close her mouth and nod, "Okay. Can we go now?"

I watch her carefully as she turns away from me and makes her way out of the door. A single word leaves my mouth, "Okay."

not he broke iiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

and yes imma use this song in like almost every book because it's just so good 😭