forty: the end

TWO DAYS LATER

TWO DAYS LATER

I find myself in Jori's room, quietly watching from a distance as he sits on the floor and drags crayon against paper. The same crayons he got for Christmas yesterday — along with other things.

I slowly approach before lowering myself to stoop beside him. Pointing to the drawing that includes three stick figures holding hands, I ask, "What's this, baby?"

He continues to color the blue sky behind the figures, "It's me," He points to the shortest one in the middle, "You," The figure to the right with an afro, "And Luca." He points to the remaining figure that has a haphazardly drawn cross on the arm.

I arch a brow and smile, "It's beautiful, Jori."

He gasps, "That's what Luca said."

A moment passes as I watch him continue to color in the background. There's a house off to the side and a very creatively drawn animal beside it.

"Did you like your Christmas gifts, baby?" I ask nonchalantly as he takes up another crayon and hands it to me.

"I love them." He exclaims excitedly, "Thank you for the crayons, mommy."

"You're welcome, my love."

And together, my son and I finish his drawing of our family.

•••

"Thank you for flying Talia out and allowing her to stay here." I say to Luca as I press my back against the bottom of the couch. I throw another blown up balloon into the sea of red and black, watching as it blends into the decorations strung up.

Adriano took Jori out for ice cream and honestly, I was a bit shocked he suggested it. He's been weird lately, spending most of his time with the kids, often asking me or Farrah questions about being parents.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say he's in a predicament of his own.

Anyway, his offer gave the rest of us the time to get everything ready and seeing as Adriano added looking at church mosaics in Palermo to the list of distracting agents, we're obviously taking our time.

Talia is standing with Farrah, arranging and rearranging the buffet table with decorations of his newest obsession — Spider-Man. Miles Morales of course.

Luca blows into a balloon and with his break, nods, "Of course. She's Jori's aunt."

"Well, technically, he hasn't even met her." I point out, laughing slightly, "She's excited. Like almost as excited as Adri was to take Jori out." Luca says nothing but when I look at him, the grin on his face is wide and he's looking down to try to hide it. "What?"

"I think he got someone pregnant. Or he's thinking about it, at the very least." He suggests, moving his hand back to scratch the back of his neck.

My brows almost kiss my forehead. And then I actually think about it. He's so interested in parenthood all of a sudden. Asking all these questions. Wanting one-on-one time to try his luck as a father figure.

"Yeah, that tracks."

•••

Hours into the late night following Jori's party, I find myself out on the balcony with Luca, my mind taken back to the many nights on the balcony of my New York apartment, us unknowingly healing in the silence.

Two years of my life were stolen from me by the Devil himself — two years of birthdays, Christmases, a son, a mother, a family. One would argue that it's been longer than that.

I lost my spirit way before I lost my son.

I lost hope. I lost my sanity. I lost my pride and my dignity and my will to try. I cried every night, barely slept for fear of nightmares ... memories.

I was in pain. I was broken. Shattered with no direction.

And the man that has a gun as an accessory and a frown as his jewelry was the one that put my pieces back together.

"Thank you." I say, the eye contact between us making my heart flutter in ways I didn't know was possible. He brushes his finger along my cheek, the S on his skin feathering the bone. "For saving me."

He watches me, stripping my barriers and any protection I'd armed myself with years ago, leaving me bare in front of him. His next words leave me breathless. "Thank you for being my deliverance."

forced myself to finish this lmaooo but im glad y'all stuck by for the ride and ill see y'all in believer!!!!!

this ends luca and remi's story but i assure y'all, you will see them again!!

i intended to finish this book in a month but a month and a couple days will do ig 🧍🏾‍♀️ lmao im playin

i love you all so much! thank you for all the love and  endless support you've given me! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

also thinking about doing a q&a — either for/about me or for/about any characters in any of my books. id be happy to answer them! ❤️

THE
END