thirty-five: self-obsessed

"You still haven't told me if you're okay or not

"You still haven't told me if you're okay or not." I hear Adriano's voice as I enter the meeting room. This is where we keep the best scotch so I'm not surprised he's seated around the table with a glass of it right in front of him.

I don't even have to guess to know he's on the phone with his best friend and love of his life, Adalena Washington. They love each other and everybody seems to know it except them.

I really came in here to mark off another safe house because I couldn't sleep after receiving the notification, but it seems I'm not the only one who couldn't sleep.

I left Remi in bed, her body now curled up around a body pillow. She had a hard time falling asleep last night, her entire body jittering with anxiety so I didn't find it in her best interest to wake her up with my restlessness.

The walk to the meeting room was refreshing though but it didn't stop the thoughts of my mother from slamming into me like a semi-truck. She'd often be awake at this time of night, ready to take me into her arms with a mug of chamomile tea on the counter.

Of course she knew about the nightmares — there wasn't much else she could do to help. The company was nice though.

She would have loved Remi.

"Alright, fine. Just call me when you don't feel like screaming into my ear." My twin sighs and ends the call, eyes roaming to mine. Silence passes between us as he pours me a glass of scotch and slides it across the table. I catch it and don't hesitate to lift it to my head.

He bows his head, "Nightmare?"

I shrug, "You can say that."

"Let me guess — another safe house?"

I just hum in confirmation and the screen on the table, the map drawn up immediately. Tapping the most recent dot, I mark it off the system.

With that out of the way, I take a seat across from my brother and sigh.

"Stavo pensando di nuovo alla mamma. (I was thinking about mother again)." He reveals and I'm not surprised. As twins, we're more connected than we think despite the many things we disagree on. He points toward me, "I assume you were too."

I sip my scotch, "E padre." Glancing at the scar on Adriano's face, I frown as I recall how he got it. How we all got our damage. Nico's the only sane one in this household.

Adriano scoffs in amusement, "He would've hated what we did to the place." He jokes and I chuckle. We've taken down a few of his self-portraits and renovated his office into a second gym.

"He'd ask us to put a tributary statue up as recompense." I joke even though I'm serious. "Fucking self-obsessed bastard."

Adriano laughs lowly, "Think there was anyone he hated more than his kids?"

I arch a brow in thought, "His therapist." Adriano shakes his head in amusement before I continue, "You want to talk about what's happening with you and Lena?"

"You wanna talk about you practically being Jori's father?"

"No."

"Then no."

"Fair enough." I smile and down the rest of the scotch, rising from my seat as the exhaustion starts to hit, "I don't tell you enough, fratello, but ti amo uomo."

He returns a smile as he begins to light up, "I love you too, brother."

ahh cute lil chapter with some twin time before everything goes to shit

just kidding 👁👁