twelve: in december

The drive to Remi's mother's house was filled with silence, Remi herself staring out at the trees that fly by us

The drive to Remi's mother's house was filled with silence, Remi herself staring out at the trees that fly by us. She taps her fingers against her knee nervously, chest rising and falling as she closes her eyes.

Of course I had to lie to her about being in a gang. I didn't know how she would take to a mafia second-in-command helping her for the main reason of just helping her. She probably thinks I have an ulterior motive when I just want to keep her safe.

Music softly plays in the background as she sighs and lifts her head from the window. I don't bother sparing her a glance — I know she's annoyed beyond compare with me.

Sure I could've approached the situation differently, but we didn't have time for me to tip toe around her. The faster we get Jori, the faster we kill Ghost, and the faster we can dead the situation.

"I didn't want to give him up." She says over the hum of the vehicle and the music playing. "My mother knew about the mess I was in and used it to her advantage — blackmailed me to give him up voluntarily or lose him the hard way."

I listen intently as she speaks, my grip around the steering wheel tightening at her words.

"And Ghost ... She hated me for falling in love with him, hated me for getting pregnant by him, hated me for wanting to keep my baby." She scoffs in disbelief, "Just to turn around and take him from me. I couldn't fight her for him either because I was just this little girl who was too scared to confront anyone."

Her voice wavers and she bows her head. She sniffles, "I haven't seen him in almost two years, Luca. What if he doesn't remember me?"

I resist the urge to reach out for her shaky hand and just speak instead, "He'll remember you." Though kids are the last thing on my mind so I have no clue what they do and don't remember, I can't help but want to give Remi hope, even if it's false. Which I'm praying it's not.

"And what if he doesn't want to come back with me?"

This is the most I've seen Remi worry. Yes, she rants about simple things, minuscule things — but this is the most her ranting has been warranted.

When I met her, I knew she was holding something back. I couldn't imagine that it was her being a mother.

I don't know what to say to make her feel better about this situation. I already lied to her once, I don't plan to make it a habit.

"You're not very good at thinking positively." I attempt to joke though my tone is nonchalant.

She scoffs out a laugh, "You're an ass."

There's a pause as I glance at her. She's staring straight ahead, her mouth pursed as she looks to be deep in thought.

"How old is he?"

She huffs, "You're telling me you know all that you know yet you don't know how old Jori is?"

I sigh and speak lowly, "I know, I'm just trying to make conversation."

I can feel her eyes on me for a moment before she looks away, "He's five in December."

"Oh." I say, not really sure how to continue the conversation. I clear my throat, "I have a niece."

"How old is she?"

"Four months."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

Another pause.

"Why are you helping me, Luca?" Her confusion is clear as I turn on to the street where her mother resides.

"Because," I look at her as I pull to a stop in front of the house number she gave me, "You're here for me. I'm here for you."

publishing kinda short chapters - sorry, not sorry 😭❤️