Chapter Nine

Maya

I woke up to a light pressure on my body. I looked down and smiled slightly when I saw Caterina holding onto my shirt for dear life. Her mouth was slightly open, letting out small snores. Just like her sister.
"Good morning Bambina." Carina whispered.
I turned my head and smiled at her. She was propped up on her elbow staring at us both.

"How long have you been awake?" I whispered back.
"Only fifteen minuets. You two looked so adorable sleeping, I couldn't help but stare." She grabbed her phone and showed me the pictures she had taken.
"She's a sweet kid." I sighed as I gently rubbed the small girl's back.
"But?"
"But nothing. She's a sweet kid."
I could tell from the look in Carina's eyes she was waiting for the other shoe to drop. She was waiting for me to change my mind. She was waiting for me to run.
"I'm not going anywhere. I told you. I'm in this." I said firmly.
"I know. Just... I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to." She smiled sadly at me.
"How could I leave? Look at what we have. We have a family Carina. It might be unconventional. But it's a family." I reached over and took her hand.
"I love you, amore mio."
"Ti amo, mondo mio."

I went to slide myself from underneath Cat, but she started whining and grabbed my shirt collar tighter.
"Hey kiddo. It's time to wake up." I whispered as I gently rubbed her back.
Caterina groaned and hurried her face into my pillow.
"Well, I guess not being a morning person runs in the family." I chuckled.
"Did you call Bailey?" I asked.
"Sì. She said she would give me off the rest of the week so we can figure out all this."
"I'll have a talk with Andy and see if she can get coverage for the Station. I need to go in for a while today to pick up some paper work anyway."
"I was planning on painting the bambina's room. Do you want to take her with you or do you want her to stay here?"
"She can come with me if she wants. Hey, kiddo. Wanna go see a camion dei pompieri?"
"Camion dei pompieri?" She mumbled sleepily as she sat up in bed.
"Sì. Maya is a pompiera. She's a fire Captain." Carina said proudly.
"Can I sit in the truck?" She looked up at me.
"Of course. I might even let you slide down the pole if you get up and get dressed." I gently poked her sides.
"Okay!" She jumped out of bed and ran out of the room.

"That was easy." I laughed as I laid back in bed.
"We have a lot of stuff to figure out." Carina cuddled up next to me and kissed my shoulder.
"We got this. We'll figure it out one step at a time."

At the station

"Cap! I didn't think you were coming in today?" Travis asked as Caterina and I walked into the beanery.
"I just have to pick up some paper work." I grabbed a banana for Cat and poured myself a coffee.
"Who's this?" He asked.
"Cat, this is my team. That's Travis, Ben, and Sullivan. You know everyone else already. Team, this is Caterina. Carina's little sister."

Cat waved shyly as she stood behind me.

"Since when does Carina have a sister?" Ben asked.
"I'm seven." She spoke up from behind my legs.
"We found out yesterday. She's going to be living with us. Andy, do you mind taking over the rest of the week so we can figure out School and after care for Cat?"
"Of course Cap." Andy nodded.

Cat walked up to Vic and handed her the banana and sat in her lap, "Can you open that for me please?"
"Of course mini DeLuca." Vic's face lit up in a huge smile. It was no secret that she had a soft spot for kids.
"Are you good here for a second while I go grab paper work kiddo?"
"Sì." She nodded.

I motioned for Andy to follow me, and we walked down to my office.
"How'd it go last night?"
"Better than I expected. She slept great. We're about to head to the store to pick up her furniture for her room." I reached in my filing cabinet and pulled out a stack of papers.
"Look at you. All grown up." Andy pretended to wipe away a fake tear.
"What is that supposed to mean?" I laughed.
"Oh come on! You don't remember, Maya 'Monogamy Is For The Weak' Bishop?"
"Shut up. I was young and not in love." I gently pushed her shoulder.
"Dude, that was two years ago."
"Exactly. All three of us weren't in love and grown up. Now look at us. Me and Carina, you and Vic. We've grown up." We walked out of my office and paused where her Dad's picture was.
"He'd be proud of us. You know?" Andy whispered.
"I know. All he ever wanted to do was see us grow up and get along." I sighed as we walked upstairs.
"Maya! Travis said a bad word!" Cat immediately said as we walked into the beanery.
"Did not!" He gasped.
"Did too!" Vic and Cat said at the same time.
"Okay children. Settle down. Travis. Watch the language around the kid." I shot him a serious look.
"Sorry Cap." He put his head down in fake guilt.