chapter | t w e n t y - o n e

twenty - one | hotels and malls

I TAKE A deep breath before approaching Daddy and Darcy who is busy having their breakfast.

Darcy smiles at me the moment she notices my presence and I return the gesture although it's a bit shaky.

When Daddy's gaze transfers from his newspaper to me, my grasp on my phone tightens.

"What can we help you with, Sia?" Darcy asks before taking a sip of her coffee.

My hands are beginning to tremble in my sides so I quickly bring them together and pop my fingers. I lick my lips before opening my mouth, "Daddy, Darcy, i-is it okay... i-if..."

"If...?" she urges me to continue.

"I-If I g-go out?"

"Alone?" Daddy asks with furrowed eyebrows. "No, it's too dangerous. Do you even know the road around here?"

I swallow the lump in my throat before answering him, "I do know the road, Daddy. I've been living in this neighborhood ever since you left."

His expression immediately darkens and I automatically take a step back. "And what is that supposed to mean?"

"It doesn't mean anything, Daddy. I was just telling the truth."

"George, baby," Darcy softly says while putting a hand on his arm. "Calm down. The child is just answering you."

Daddy listens to Darcy and does his best to calm himself. He closes his eyes and inhales deeply. "My answer is final, Selena," his voice firm but I can tell he is more relaxed this time.

"B-But I'm not going out alone," I protest as I lower my head in nervousness. "I-I'm going out with my f-friends."

"Your friends, huh?" he asks while rubbing his temple. "Are those five boys coming too?"

"Yeah," I whisper while playing with my fingers.

"What? I can't hear you!"

I raise my head as I raise my voice. "Yeah. They're coming too."

He only keeps his eyes on me. The longer he doesn't say anything, the more my nerves get shaken. I know he's mad. He directly told me to avoid them but I didn't listen. I don't want to. They're part of my circle of friends and I want to spend time with them. Why can't he understand that? Can't he adjust a little for me?

It's all right, Selena. Whether he adjusts or not, it's all right. He's still your father after all.

"Why are you still hanging out with them?" he asks before pursing his lips. "I thought I already told you to stay away."

"It's not that easy, Daddy. They're part of my circle of friends," I respond before gulping. I know he'd get angrier if I answer back but I need to get out of this house.

"So should I tell you to stop seeing the girls too?" he raises an eyebrow at me. "Is that what you want?"

"No! Of course not!"

"Then don't give me those bullshit answers, Selena!" he yells at me while slapping his hand on the table. "You're not avoiding them because they're part of your circle of friends. You're not avoiding them because you don't want to!"

I ball my hands into fists as I do my best not to yell back at him. I know I have no right to get mad. I'm just his daughter. And I know I'm also who's wrong here. I didn't follow the instruction he's given me. But he and mom—aren't they too much?

"Don't wait for me to tell you to stop seeing Blaire and the rest of your friends. I don't want to do that to you so don't push me."

After hearing him say that, I turn on my heels and head back to my room. I don't want to lie to him. I don't want to do anything to hurt him.