Chapter 10

(this takes place the same day as Simone was on the gallop-hack with Chez. This means that the herd came to the place about a week before Simone started school after the summer. We are now late-late in August.)

*Storm's POV*

The herd has finally started to settle in our new place. Even though the humans have been close to us multiple times we have only lost Beauty and Pride.

I have not been able to locate them yet, but I am looking after them every day, and making a plan to rescue them once they are located . I'll make sure that they get back to us, no matter what.

"Bosslady, what's the plan?" a dark voice asks behind me.

I turn around and look straight at Enter. He has always been a little bit weird, and insist on calling me "bosslady".

Even though he is weird, and the youngest in the herd, he is one of them I trust the most.

I am never going to tell him this though.

Can't risk boosting his ego even more.

"Like I have told you each other time you've asked me, Enter. I am working on it. We just have to keep our heads low until we know the area" I tell him slightly irritated.

He swishes his tail as a protest but bows his head to me and walk over to the others.

We have been at this place for almost 2 weeks now and have explored the area minimally. The only thing I can say for sure is that there are very few humans around here, only those hunting us every now and then.

We have located at a clearing in the woods, near a river and some hills. It's a pretty good place actually but I don't want to stay here forever.

But it will fit perfectly for the short time we'll be here.

I would like this to be our place, but the humans have been too close to this place multiple times. They may stumble across it every moment now.

We've also had to split up multiple times during this short period, and therefore been more apart than together. Never really had time to relax, and not found a good food source.

Don't take that wrong, but forest food is not the best to survive on for multiple horses all year. Grass is important, and it's far from enough food for everyone.

With this in mind I decide I want to cover some area, and get to know the environment better.

"Huggy, you'll be in charge while I am gone. Don't you dare worry about me before the sun goes down. If I'm not back when the sun rises you can start searching." I tell the red mare.

She looks uncertain but she slowly nods her head.

She's been my best friend since forever, and she knows better than to argue with me during these moments. And I'm happy that she takes it so easy this time as well, because I don't have the energy to argue right now.

"Just be careful out there Storm" she silently says when I turn around.

I flicker my ears in her direction, before trotting along the river. Away from my herd and my friends.

I don't like to worry the herd, but I can't keep myself locked up around them all day. They are great individuals, but it's hard to keep myself sane while always being near others.

And it's a great opportunity to stretch my legs without bringing too much attention to myself. The less horses together, more difficult it would be to see me.

As I trot along the river I am met by silence from the forest. There's only a lonely cuckoo singing. It's been yet another hot day, but it has luckily begun to cool down a bit.