Friendship

Yesterday, I had mountain climbing training with Nathan. Today Ava, Nathan, and I are going to take a long hike at Glacier National Park. Up by the Blackfeet Indian Reservation, Montana.  We all need a break from social media, stress, and school. We are going to turn off all notifications and go into nature.  It's been so long since I have taken a hike, the last time was before we got Heidi. I was ten years old it was just with dad and Lyllie. We didn't go very far because Lyllie was only five.  The lake has frozen over so Ava and I are going to skate and so is Nathan. He won't be doing any tricks, though.

I roll out of bed and I do my hair in two simple french braids. The way how I always have them. I run downstairs when I get a text from Nathan saying,

'I'm a mile away.'

I put on my boots, coat, hat, and gloves. I also grabbed my hiking backpack. I get into Nathan's car.

After four hours in the car, I see the Glacier National Park welcome sign. I see the bright white snow tops of the mountains. The blue-gray mountainsides. The gorgeous snow-covered pine trees. The iced-over lake looks like a flat shiny crystal. I get out of the car and breathe it all in.

"Isn't beautiful," Nathan notes.

"Yeah, it is," I respond back.

"Where is Ava we should have been behind her?" Nathan questions.

I pull out my phone, and I respond,

    "I'm going to call her."

After, a few minutes of ringing, I state,

"She's not answering. I don't think she's coming."

"She probably overslept and it's too late for her to come," Nathan responds.

"Yeah, you're right, we all oversleep sometimes," I agree.

"Let's just go hiking," Nathan suggests pointing to the trail.

After a peaceful and wonderful walk to the frozen lake.

"Wow, The lake looks like a giant crystal," Nathan speaks being amazed.

"I know. This is what I miss doing with my family," I claim calmly.

I get so many happy memories of this frozen lake. My first time skating was on this lake when I was four. I still remember my mom's beautiful smile when I did my first glide on the ice.  I can hear my mom's laughter when I ran into her and we both fell. I can also remember the saddest moment on the ice. It was my first time on the lake after my mom passed away. I would just sit there on the ice crying and imagining if my mom was still there and that was the last time since today I've been on this frozen lake.

I get spooked out of my daze when Nathan asks me,

"Are you good?"

"Yeah, but I just miss her. I should be over this, she passed eight years ago," I respond.

"Come here," Nathan claims to hold his arms out.

He is hugging me right momentarily and he states,

"Nobody has the right to tell you that you should forget about your mom, because she is not here right now. She was your mom and the person you looked up to. Because you are still grieving that means you really did love her and she was your role model. Use that pain to make beautiful pieces to dedicate to your mom still being you, because that is what your mom would want and what would your mom would always say to you,"

I chime in with Nathan and speak with him,

"Stay you and not be anyone else, including me."

We stop hugging and I claim,