The Ring

"Are you still going to ask Ava today?" Nathan asks walking by me in the halls.

"Yeah, after the fifth period," I respond.

"What do you think she will say?" he questions.

"I don't really know. But I'm glad that Grace has a backup plan with Heidi," I state.

"I thought Heidi couldn't do sports," he claims.

"She can do ice skating as long she has elbow and knee pads," I reply.

"Do you think your dad agreed?" he wonders.

"How else would she have gotten to the rink to practice?" I reply.

"Yeah, I guess that is true," he agrees.

"What do you think she will say?" I ask.

"Who?" he sounds confused.

"Ava!" I shout annoyed.

"Oh! I think she wouldn't want to do it with you," he states.

"I'm kind of thinking that too, but I want to give her hope that she hasn't turned completely against me. You know," I question.

"Yeah, I do know. You guys have been friends since before kindergarten. I get that," he claims.

"See you after class," I state walking into honors reading class.

"See you later alligator," he jokes.

Nathan has geometry 2, while I have honors reading. I really don't know what Ava is going to say because she hasn't been in practice all week, but it sounds like she has been practicing with her coach all by herself. I just don't know. Nobody knows what is going on inside of her brain, not even her own mom. Ava is crazy and sometimes I think she needs to go to the nuthouse.

"Are you ready to ask Ava?" Nathan asks while I'm exiting honors reading.

"Ready as I will ever be," I respond.

"I'm just still shocked that your dad will let Heidi perform," he states.

"Me too," I agree.

"Okay. There's Ava," he says pointing at her.

I walk over to her before I could say anything.

"What do you want now?" Ava snorts.

"Are-" I say with Ava cutting me off,

"I know you want. You want to try to start a fight," she declares crossing her arms.

I respond,

"I'm going to ask you-"

"Ask me what? About how you lied to me," Ava states.

"No! I'm going to talk about that! I want to ask you. Are you going to do the duet with me?" I respond.

"What if I don't? You are screwed aren't you," Ava smirks.

"Well, actually Heidi has been learning it so I really don't need you to win," I respond.

It looks like Ava's plan wasn't working like she wanted to because she looks shocked right now.

"So are you doing the duet or will I be doing it with Heidi?" I ask.

"Yes, I'm going to do the duet! No one can replace me like that!" she yells.

"Perfect," I say turning around.

"See you tomorrow," she says.

I turn back around and state,

"No, I'll see you after school for practice today at Harper Arena at four. See you then."