3- The Serum Project

I wake up early the next morning, excited to start the new job. James is in the lounge sorting out his uniform, while Steve stands in the doorway, jealous of the Sergeant.

"Morning, boys." I groan, running my hand through my hair and walking into the lounge.

"Took you long enough to get up." James smirks.

"Shut up." I laugh, going into the kitchen.

I make myself some toast and a coffee, then sit at the table in the lounge.

"You ready for today, James?" I question.

"A little nervous, but yeah, absolutely." He half-smiles, putting his hat on and smirking at himself in the mirror. He hugs both Steve and I, before heading out the door.

"See you later, Buck." I say. He turns around, winks, then salutes before shutting the door behind him, leaving me and Steve at home.

"You got any plans today then?" I say to Steve, walking back into the kitchen.

"Not at the moment," he chuckles, "I'm just trying to find something to pass the time."

I returned to my room and got dressed for the day; a navy-blue blazer, paired with matching trousers/waistcoat and brown leather loafers. After I had gotten changed, I went back into the lounge.

"You think it looks, ok?" I ask Steve, gesturing towards my outfit.

"Yeah," he smiles, "it looks great?"

"Little much?" I say after putting on a matching navy fedora.

"Little much." He laughs.

~~~~~~

An hour or so later, I was waiting on the side of the street for my ride... without the fedora.

Not long after, a black dodge custom town sedan pulled up in front of me. A man with a grey blazer and light brown hair gets out to greet me.

"Good morning, Mr. Emerson," he says, "I'm Edwin Jarvis, Howard Stark's Chauffeur. He asked me to give you a lift to the lab. Are you ready to go?"

"This is your S.S.R. identification card," he says, handing me the card, "you'll need it when around local authorities."

"Oh, uh, thank you." I hesitate before taking the card from him.

When we come to a stop, Jarvis and I get out the car and he shows me to the door.

"You sure this is the place?" I question as we walk into an old store.

"Just follow me." He says as we head to the back of the shop.

He briefly talks to the woman at the counter before walking through some kind of automatic door. After that, we walk through a hall where a few guards stood by, not batting an eyelid at whoever walked past.

"Mr. Stark," Jarvis shouts to him as we get to the stairs, "Mr. Emerson is here."

"Ah, brilliant!" He shouts back to us. Mr. Jarvis says 'goodbye' to me before he leaves, and I head down to Stark.

"Morning, Marty." He smiles, looking up from his machine, his hair messed up from some kind of electrical mishap.

"Morning, Stark," I greet, "what do you need help with?"

"That." He answers, pointing to this strange, green, metal cocoon type machine.

"What is it?" I ask, very much confused by the machine in front of me.

"It's what we're using for the Super Soldier serum," he says, "you remember me talking about that, right?"

"Yeah, yeah, of course. What's all of this?" I ask, looking at the machines surrounding it.

"Most of it records how much energy we're using, some of it is for stabilisation, and vita ray detectors."

"Vita rays?"

"Vita radiation, an electromagnetic radiation with a specific wavelength with stabilising properties." Stark comments.

"The machine was developed by," he points to himself, "yours truly."

"Let's hope it works better than the car then." I say before both of us laugh.

"To be serious, though," he continues, "we have to get this finished soon because the serum event is happening tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" I question, not realising how little time we have.

"Let's get going then." Howard says, clapping his hands.

"Yeah, ok."

~~~~~~

The next day, Howard and I got to the lab early to make the final edits to the machine.

"Howard," I say after a while, stopping what I was doing, "someone's at the stairs."

"Erskine!" Howard shouts up to the man, "come on, see what we've got." The man with a white lab coat and a brown suit strolls down the stairs and towards us.

"Good morning, Mr. Stark," he says, with a mild German accent, "and Mr. Lawrence Emerson, I'm guessing?"

"Laurie is fine." I smile, shaking his hand.

As people began to crowd into the lab, Stark and I fixed up the last few things on the machine.

"All done, Howard." I say, putting our tools back in the box, and heading into his office.

"Nice job, Marty," he answers, "our guy should be here-"

"Mr. Stark!" Mr. Emerson!" Erskine shouts from the lab, "how are the levels?"

"There you go," Stark laughs, the two of us heading back into the lab, "levels are at 100%."

"We're all good... oh my god. Steve!" I panic, running over to the pod, "what the hell are you doing?" He looks up at me from the pod and laughs, though he was already strapped in.

"It's fine, Laurie," Steve says, "I'll be safe, don't worry."

"But you promised James..."

"He doesn't need to know about this until we see him."

"We may dim half the lights in Brooklyn, but we are ready," Howard says confidently, until he sees Steve, "as we'll ever be."

"Give him a shot, Howard." I whisper to him.

"He's tiny."

"Unfortunately, he's always been this way."

"Serum infusion, starting now," Erskine begins as Stark and I take our places, "now Mr. Stark."

Stark then lowers the leaver, then the pod moves upright, then closes around Steve.

"Oh god." I whisper to myself, checking the controls. As the procedure starts, Howard counts the dial moving on the controls.

"Vital signs are normal." I say, becoming increasingly more worried. When the dial hits 70%, Steve begins screaming in pain as he receives the vita rays.

"Steve!" I shout, "shut it down!"

"No! Don't! I can do this!" Steve yells from inside the pod. The dial gets to 100% and the reactor overloads and shuts itself down.

"Steve!" I yell again, running over to the pod as it opens.

"I did it." He pants, stepping out the machine. His scrawny body now completely jacked up, and he's grown from 5'4" to around 6'. Half of the spectators stood fully speechless in front of him, taking notes for the new report.

"What?" Steve laughs.

"Damn it," I say, "I can't tease you for your height now."

I'm 5'11", he's 6'2" now.

"You look... taller." Peggy says as I give her a 'no shit' look.

All of a sudden, a bomb is detonated from the booth, separating the crowd.

"Stop him!" Erskine yells, clutching where he just got shot.

Steve and Peggy run after one of the guys as the lab begins to empty.

"Well... that went well." Stark sighs, furrowing his brow when it was just the two of us left.