6 - Alone Again

"Mr. Emerson." Mr. Jarvis says quietly, sitting next to me. After arguing with Steve, I ran off to a nearby park thinking I wouldn't be disturbed.

"Hey." I reply, snapping back into reality.

"You alright?" He asks.

"Honestly," I sigh, "I'm not too sure. I mean, Steve and I just lost our best friend, and now... I'm about to lose him too."

"Look," Jarvis begins, "Mr. Rogers is an incredible guy and, personally, I think- I know he's going to make it."

"Really?"

"Yeah, trust me."

"I do," I say, "but I don't know if I should go with him or stay here."

"Mr. Emerson, you're not a soldier-"

"Thanks." I chuckle softly.

"Let me finish," he laughs, "you're an amazing tech engineer. If you go with him, you don't know what's going to happen. I mean, this is the biggest mission the S.S.R. has ever had, not just the S.S.R., but the U.S. Army."

"Jarvis that doesn't help."

"I didn't think so," he pauses, "Mr. Stark is heading back to New York tomorrow night, he was wondering if you would go back as well."

"Really?"

"Why would you think otherwise? He adores your work," Jarvis smiles, "the S.S.R. needs you."

"Come on, it's getting cold." He says, the two of us then stand up and head back to the London base.

~~~~~~

"Are you going to talk to Mr. Rogers?" Jarvis whispers as we walk back into the building.

"If I can find him." I chuckle.

"Marty! There you are!" Howard shouts, spotting me from across the room, "where did you go?"

"Had an argument with Steve, left the building."

"Right, ok."

"Where is he?" I question.

"Down the hall."

"Thanks." I nod, walking down to where Steve is.

"Steve?" I ask softly, knocking on the door.

"Come in." He calls out, not knowing who's on the other side.

"Hey..." I say.

"Oh. Hey, Laurie."

"Look, I'm sorry for earlier," I start, "I'm just scared. I don't want to lose you as well as James."

"I know." He stands up.

"If you want to go, then go. I won't stop you." I say.

"Would you come as well though? There's still space on the team." He asks as I look back towards the door.

"I'm not sure," I sigh, "Stark says the S.S.R. need me."

"Well, I believe him."

"You do?" I turn back to him.

"Of course," he smiles, "come on, I've grown up with you. You're so much better than Stark, so of course the S.S.R. needs you."

"I'll be back before you know it, I promise." He says, pulling me into a hug.

~~~~~~

Stark and I arrive back at the S.S.R. tech lab in New York a few days after. It's bizarre because the usual chaos of the lab has turned into complete silence and abandonment. I wander over to the table where the plans were and stand there staring at it.

"You alright Marty?" Howard asks, placing his hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah, I'm just, worried I guess." I reply, looking over the plans.

"He's going to be ok." Stark reassures.

A second or two later, the phone rings in Stark's office.

"Hello," he says, picking up the phone, "yeah, hold on."

"Marty!" Stark shouts from the office.

"Yeah?" I answer, walking to the door.

"It's for you."

"Hey, it's Laurie." I say, taking the phone from him.

"Sorry? Wait, what do you mean? Not him too..." I gasp, the smile dropping into a heavy frown.

"Marty?" Howard asks softly, realising my change in expression.

"Ok. Uh, thank you, I'll see you soon." I say before putting the phone down.

"What happened?"

"Steve," I gulp, "he's uh, he's gone."

"Not him too."

"Yeah." I sigh heavily, tears forming in my eyes.

"I'll give you a minute." Howard says, leaving the room.

I sit staring at nothing, not being able to move at all. I lost my brother, and now my best friend.

"Alright, that's it," Stark says, standing by the door, "come on."

"What?"

"We're going to find him."

"Howard, he-"

"He crashed in the arctic, there's a possibility he's alive," he continues, putting his coat on, "you in?"

"If there's a chance he's alive, screw it."

"That's the spirit!" He says, full of hope.

~~~~~~

Stark, a few Agents and I sailed out to the arctic on the search ship a few hours later.

"Stark," I say, "we found the Tesseract."

"Take us to the next grid point." He says to one of our Agents.

"But there's no trace of wreckage, and the energy signature has stopped." They reply.

"Just keep looking." Stark sighs.

"Howard this is ridiculous, he's not here." I comment.

"You don't know that."

"Neither do you!" I snap, "can we just go back to New York?"

"Alright." He says.