25 - Even More Trouble

That afternoon, Sam and I are still wandering around London, when both of us get a news notification on our phones. We take them out to see that the UN building  had been bombed, so we sprint to find Steve, and when we do, Sharon lets us use her hotel room for the TV.

"A bomb hidden in a news van ripped through the UN building in Vienna. More than seventy people have been injured, and at least twelve are dead, including Wakanda's King T'Chaka. Footage has been released with a suspect who has been identified as James Buchanan Barnes, the Winter Soldier." The reporter on the TV informs the public.

"Bullshit!" I shout before the report even ends.

"What?" Steve and Sam ask simultaneously.

"That's not him! That's not James!"

"Laurie, you don't know that." Steve states.

"Yes, I do," I argue, "I knew him as the Winter Soldier, and even if he's brainwashed, he wouldn't do that. Besides, you said he escaped Hydra a few years ago."

"He did-"

"So that's not him!"

"Laurie, calm down," Steve hold his hands out, "if it is him, we need to find him. If it's not... it would still be a good idea to."

Sam, Steve, Sharon and I fly out to Vienna soon after. Sharon joins her work force while the other three of us go undercover in public.

"Did she tell you to stay out of it?" Sam asks as Steve joins us from phoning Nat.

"Yeah."

"She might have a point."

"This is all I have," Sharon hands Steve a file, "it's mostly rumours, but it could work."

"I'm going to call Tony," I say, "I'll see you guys soon."

I leave them in the coffee shop and head back to the airport to fly back to Berlin where Tony is at the moment. He's met up with Everett Ross from the C.I.A. and I make my way up to where Sharon and Nat are to help them sort out the more legal sides of the current situation.

"You knew Barnes, didn't you?" Sharon asks me.

"From the 1940s, yes."

"You knew him as the Winter Soldier though?"

"Also, yes."

"So, why are you here with us rather than helping Steve find him?"

"Because, as you know, I have a history with Hydra, and if they're behind this... I'm pretty screwed."

"Why?"

"The whole way I escaped is because they thought I died on a mission. I ended up in Sokovia with Wanda and Pietro instead."

"Weren't they with Hydra?"

"Yes, but they didn't turn me in."

"Why?"

"Do you hold a world record for the most consecutive questions?"

"Cut it out, Marty," Tony says as he walks into the room, "Rhodey's just flown out to Bucharest to get Steve, Sam and out new best friend... James Buchanan Barnes."

"Seriously, Tony?" I roll my eyes.

"Once they're arrested, the German special forces are bringing them here for interrogation," he continues, "T'Challa will be staying in these offices with us."

"How's Pietro, by the way?" Tony asks.

"He's alright," I reply, "he's at the compound with Viz and Wanda right now, I told him to stay there so he doesn't do anything dumb. Where's Clint?"