Chapter 2

Lance ran into the storm shelter and saw his father getting up and looking at his log chopping machine. "Quiznak." He said while playing with his red mustache trying to figure out what went wrong. "You okay Papa?" Lance asked. "Fine my boy, but this infernal machine won't work." He said and kicked it. Coran was an inventor. He was working on a machine that would chop wood so that people wouldn't have to, but it wasn't going very well.

"You'll figure it out." Lance said. He knew his father could do it. And win at the fair tomorrow. "Nope. I'm giving up. It can't be done." He said and threw his hands in the air. "If anyone can do it, it's you. Come on, I believe in you." Lance said and handed a strange tool to his father. Coran smiled at his son and got back to work. Lance smiled back. But then he thought for a second and decided to ask something that had been on his mind for a while.

"Hey Papa, do you think I'm odd?" Coran rolled out from under his machine wearing some funky glasses that increased the size of his eyes by five. "You, odd, where did this come from?" he responded and rolled back under the machine. "People talk. I just don't fit in here." Coran paused his work for a second.

"What about that Lotor guy, he seems to like you a lot." Coran said not knowing just how true his words were. "A little too much. And I don't like him. I guess he is decent looking, but he is also conceded, half-brained, arrogant, and rude. He isn't for me." Lance said. "That's okay, I'm sure you'll find someone besides me who understands you some day." Coran said and rolled out from under his machine. "I think that does it, let's try it out." He said and pulled the lever. The machine started working. It did everything that it was supposed to exactly right. "I told you you could do it." Lance said excitedly as he watched logs fly. "You were right. Get blue ready. I'm off to the fair." Coran said.

Lance got the wagon with the invention hitched up to their horse Blue while Coran packed his stuff and some food. "Bye Papa, good luck." Lance said and waved good bye. Coran waved as well and was on his way. Lance would miss his father, but he did sometimes enjoy having the house to himself. He went inside to finish his book.