三十五 : long story short

1940 AD; D-1

1940 AD; D-1

Do Sangcheol was pretty naive for someone who had assumed the responsibility of liberating his country from the clutches of foreign power. Not in the diplomatic aspect of course, or else why would his comrades have trusted him with the authority? His ingenuous facet surfaced only while encountering the exceptionally wily Yeoreum— who would go to unimaginable lengths in order to extort information about Taehyung out of him— with him not even trying to resist the manipulation that followed. 

With the three individuals unwilling to divest themselves of the veneer that had ensured their affinity till then, the relationship they shared had been mangled so inconsiderately by them that once exposed, the wounds beneath it would only foster beyond the scope of amelioration.

Long story short, their bond was much more complicated than it seemed to be.

When Sangcheol did not have the privilege of merely notifying Yeoreum of his feelings for her, and Yeoreum was in constant cynicism regarding Taehyung ever reciprocating her love back, how was their association to survive if everybody ended up being blatant about the affairs of their own hearts?

Yeoreum still solicited Taehyung's affection, while Sangcheol had no choice but to give up on pursuing the woman one day or another. Be it due to her pretense or genuine obliviousness, Sangcheol had to come to terms with his reality either way. Although it took him a substantial amount of time, he was now content with playing cupid for the two.

This freshly nonchalant attitude of his had caused him to impart Taehyung's whereabouts to Yeoreum the very moment she inquired him. And as expected, the latter was already on her way to tend to Taehyung and feign being upset with him over the unannounced leave of absence that he had availed yet again.

The rate at which Yeoreum's heart had been normally functioning suddenly inflated off the charts when she could finally discern the door that led into Taehyung's house. Her cheeks flushed red as she instinctively reached for one of her hair-strands and tucked them behind her ear, while envisioning various scenarios at once. 

As much as Yeoreum pined for Taehyung's silvery giggles and sparkling eyes, would the latter have looked forward to reuniting with her too?

She fumbled in nervousness, convulsively bringing her hands to hide her face in coyness. However, the diffidence proved to be ephemeral when she inattentively flung the doors open— the very ones which, a moment prior, had felt extremely distant. Ludicrous how just by wondering about Taehyung would send her into an adamantine trance.

Yeoreum was such a hopeless romantic.

However, before she could announce her presence to Taehyung, the man had already swerved his gaze to fixate it at her. Oh boy, the intensity of jitters that his action had induced to crawl up her neck. But Yeoreum had to bridle the starry-eyed fantasist within her, or else her strategy to make Taehyung ascertain her displeasure would perish before she could even implement it. And so, she initiated as she scooted nearer to him.