The Secret We Made

"How could you get so many ideas?"

Kasumi Asahi's words repeated over and over and over again inside the young male's mind. Ever since the male had started crushing on none other than Aria, the new student from Venus Ark School, the only melodies he had ever tried to compose were of ballads, and his mind was full of romantic lyric ideas.

"Are you madly in love, just like the three of us?"

"Maybe," was all he had said back then, but not he could not deny it. He knew himself very well. He had an elder sister, whom was studying university. Her major was in psychology, hence he knew he could not hide his so-called 'secret' anymore. At least from his family members.

His dorm-mates were his family members too, despite not being related. Together, they had spent years as friends, and they were precious people to him. To be frank, people would think they were brothers instead of close friends. And friends, tell each other their deepest secrets.

But he wasn't willing to tell them his.

The same question was asked once again at dinner time later during the day. He handed his new composition, 'Ephemeral', to his friends, and wanted them to give him their opinions on it.

'Ephemeral' was a sad ballad track, about a boy falling in love with a female classmate. However, before he got to confess, she changed schools and he could not see her anymore. The song described something many high-schoolers would relate, and the members, especially Subaru, were very impressed.

"Where did you get inspiration from this? It's really good."

"I don't know." Was the answer. "It just came to me somehow, listening to your biggest fears. Asahi was the biggest inspiration I had for this song. His crush is now studying in Venus Ark, and with Elza Forte's strict rules, she can't hang out with us and the girls during weekends." He chuckled forcefully, and Asahi couldn't help but give the older male a hug.

Of course it wasn't the truth. With Venus Ark school being a ship that could sail all over the world, he was afraid that Aria would be in another country before he got the courage to confess. It was a reflection of his biggest concern, not Asahi's.

He sighed after returning to his room, slamming the door behind him.

Unlike a openly telling the truth about his crush, the rest of the group kept silent about it. However, by putting Asahi's detective skills to the test, they managed to find out who Subaru and Kanata were crushing on — and Igarashi Nozomu had to admit, it was a pretty easy and fun job for them to do in their free time.

Now, Nozomu could understand his friends' thoughts at the time when they first had a crush. He absolutely did not want them to know anything about it.

"Well well well. Even the school's 'Ice Prince' has his own problems to think about."

Kanata sauntered inside the room, humming a tune. The other male recognised the song to be S4's latest title track — Glow. Wanting to change topic, the male replied, "You're a big fan of S4 now, aren't you? Or are you just an Ako stan?"

"The latter." Answered Kanata, nonchalantly popping a piece of chewing gum into his mouth. "But I have to admit, their songs are really catchy. I hope they can try more mature concepts, though." He glanced around the room for a moment, trying his best to find out what was troubling his friend, nevertheless failing to do so. "So," he said, back to business, "what were you thinkin' about, my friend?" He asked, switching into fluent American-styled English.

Nozomu shrugged. "It's always nice to spend a few minutes every day to reflect on what I've done and where and how I should improve." He replied in the same language, but with a different accent - the infamous retrieved pronunciation instead of the brunette's metropolitan one.

"Same." Kanata sighed, slumping down on the blonde's bed. "It's always nice to think about how I should continue pursuing Ako." He muttered, then shook his head. "For me, I think. I doubt if you even have a crush of your own." Nozomu said nothing, but Kanata continued.

"I do envy you sometimes. You don't need to worry about whether they like you or not. At least you can use that one hour to finish something more productive than just thinking of a particular person. However, you don't get to experience what young people normally do. For now, at least. Maybe you'll get to have your first date with your future girlfriend before I even have the guts to confess."

Nozomu smiled. "I hope so."

"Wait." Kanata's gaze changed from casual to serious. "You do have someone you like?"

The other male looked up, his face turning crimson red. "Yeah...?"

"Great! Who do you like then? I think you already know about me and Ako, so I have to know yours in return. Is she from our school? Are you two from the same class? Is she Kasumi Mahiru?"

Nozomu waved his hand in disagreement. "I like Mahiru-chan, but not romantically. She's not from our school either."

"Some celebrity from Korea? Like... Jennie or Irene? I think you'd like Miyawaki Sakura or Miyoi Mina 'cause they give off that elegant, princess vibe and they are both from Japan. Aria's current favourite celebrity is Jang Wonyoung, and I have to admit she looks really cute."

Nozomu's eyes lit up when his friend mentioned Aria's name. "Really?"

Kanata nodded in reply, opened his phone and googled the young star's name. "She's pretty." Noted Nozomu. "Do you know where do people sell her photo-cards, then?"

The other male opened a separate tab on his phone. "I dunno," he replied in English, "but this website sells her group's photo-books. I'll airdrop it to you." He said.

"Thanks."

Perhaps Kira Kanata wasn't so bad talking to after all. Now, Igarashi Nozomu knew what exactly to get for Futaba Aria.

***

Hi everyone and welcome back to a new chapter.

The next chapter will feature Aria's reaction to her gift. Please give me a vote before you leave! Thank you~