Connected Endlessly

"I sometimes wonder if I'm good enough." Confessed Subaru to his fellow members one day. 

"Of course you are!" Nozomu replied with a bright smile. "You're the top of the charts in Japan! Your voice in general is extremely pleasing to hear and is very versatile. I love how you purposely make your voice crack to show your emotions, and--"

The elder sighed. "I'm not talking about me as a musician. Lemme re-phrase my question. Am I good enough for Yume?"

Asahi laughed. "Of course you are! Why aren't you? I'm sure, with your personality, a lot of girls are dying to become your girlfriend!" His eyes wandered around before continuing. "Many of our school's students included. Even members of S4."

Subaru furrowed his eyebrows. "S4 members?"

The youngest nodded, pulling out his phone in response. "Saotome Ako from S4 reported to have a crush on M4's leader Yūki Subaru. It has been a long-time fact that she idolises M4, also from Four Star Academy, and loves each member equally. Today, the idol finally revealed her favourite member of the group in a radio show, and revealed herself as the official fan-club president of her fav. Watch the clip below."

Subaru gulped, digesting the fact. "Saotome Ako? A.k.a. the girl Kanata likes?" 

"Yep." Confirmed the younger. "And he's not so happy about it."

Sighing, the eldest stood up, reaching for a glass of water. "Okay, I know that we have an S4 member who's one of our biggest fans. But this is Yume-chan you're talking about. She's dense as fuck, and although I've been trying my best, she thinks it's Nozomu's doing! I sometimes don't understand what is going on inside her head!"

Asahi tilted his head, trying to help the group's leader. "Well, I can talk to Mahiru about it. Maybe, she'll be able to listen to Yume-chan's thoughts and figure out her feelings for you without telling the exact truth!"

Taking a deep breath, Subaru nodded. "Thanks, Asahi."

~~~

"Yume-chan! Come here! I wanna have a little chat with you!" 

"Huh?"

Holding hands, both girls made their way towards the school pavilion that separated the male and female divisions. "Why have you called me here?" Yume was extremely puzzled.

Shrugging, Mahiru answered. "Well, I wanted to ask you something, Yume-chan. Have you found your secret admirer yet?"

The blondie shook her head in answer. "No, I haven't. I have no idea who it might be now. Laura said to me that Nozomu-kun isn't my secret admirer 'cause he currently has a celebrity crush on Kim Minju of IZ*ONE. Or is it Jang Wonyoung?" 

Mahiru tried not to laugh hearing who Nozomu's crush was -- Jang Wonyoung was Aria's celebrity crush, not his. "Really? Aria really likes Wonyoungie too. Perhaps they were really meant to be."

Yume's eyes widened as she heard the news. "What?" She asked. "Can you repeat that again?"

"I said," Mahiru repeated in a calm and serious manner. "That Laura has been telling you the wrong thing. Nozomu-kun is not a fan of IZ*ONE. However, he is not your secret admirer. The person he has has a crush on these days in Futaba Aria-chan from Venus Ark."

"Really? Oh my god!" Yume couldn't believe her ears. "Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"Since my brother only corrected me about it this morning when I visited him at his dorm." Mahiru lied. 

Yume believed her. "Then who do you think would be my secret admirer? I had asked Laura the exact same thing, but she told me to ask you." 

Mahiru's face softened as she smiled at the elder girl, wondering how oblivious it was. "Well, I am not sure about it, but judging from the shelves of romance novels I have in my room, I think it's Subaru-kun." 

The blonde's head shot up in surprise. "Are you serious, Mahiru-chan? He constantly bickers with me and teases me. How do you know that he's the person we've been looking for." She questioned.

Mahiru's gaze avoided Yume's. "I don't know if he's your secret admirer, but I'm sure he likes you. More than just a friend. He remembers small details about you, like how you loved eating chocolate ice cream when you were younger, and had gotten sick once just because you ate too much. He's paying that much attention just because he likes you."

"Besides," Mahiru continued, "he gives you advice and helps you with whatever your problems are, whether they are big ones or just ones that don't matter. He cares for you, more than just a normal friend or even a best friend. He'll go the extra mile just to make sure you're doing well, Yume-chan." 

"I've been one of Subaru-kun's best friends ever since I was nine years old, Yume-chan. As Asahi's younger sister, I know he's like around girls. And I absolutely know what I'm talking about. The way he treats you is totally different to other girls at the academy. I've constantly spotted him stealing glances at you, finding small ways to touch you and being nervous around you." She continued seriously, in a slow tone so that Yume could understand her each and every word.  

Yume scrunched her brows. "Maybe you're right." She sighed and hung her head. "But, I don't know if I like him too. Can you tell me how would I know if I like someone?"

Mahiru rubbed her eyes. "What do you like about Subaru?" She asked. 

"He's funny, he jokes with me a lot. But what I like about him is that he's committed to his work. He is truly passionate about his career, and even at my age, he was determined to be the best of the best. I see his eyes glowing when he talks about music -- he's so fervent when he's teaching his juniors, me included. He engages with me from time to time, a remarkable eagerness to help me, guide me through my troubles and answer all my questions when I was still a rookie. I appreciate everything he'd done for me as a senpai, and as a friend in general."

"Ahha." Mumbled Mahiru. "Do you think about him a lot? And does he make you feel at ease or comfortable when you're around him?"

Nodding, Yume replied, "yes."

Mahiru silently paused the recording on her mobile phone. "You're definitely special, Yume-chan. Subaru-kun would be lucky to have someone like you." 

Puzzled, Yume stuck out her tongue. She looked away and around the landscape. "But Ako-chan likes him too. What should I do."

"And that," Grinned the younger, "isn't a thing for you to worry. I'm glad you realise your feelings for Subaru. Continue thinking like that, and you'll get yourself a boyfriend very soon! Remember to invite me to your wedding!"

"KASUMI MAHIRU!!"

***

Thank you so much for reading!! Sorry for the cliffhanger ahha! 
If you want to know what happened to our ships, make sure to read my second fic "Message of a Rainbow!"
- Momoka @shiny_smile_girl