Chapter 3

The guy who came in? He's still with us. He's a fighter that I'm certain of. His injuries were the worst a lot of us have ever seen but he's holding on and improving just the tiniest bit each day. Obviously there's a long way for him to go but it's a promising start. I've been assigned one of his main carers, on the night shift. There's actually a group of four of us working him between us. It's been a week already and some of the injuries are already loads better. Well, the smaller cuts anyway. The deep lacerations have been stitched up so they have a way to go. The surgeon did an excellent job of saving his tattoos. I can see he's spent a lot on money and time having them done so I'm glad they don't look too bad. To be honest, I find his tattoos fascinating. There are so many that every time I have to wash him or move him, I seem to discover yet another.
The swelling on his face has gone down considerably and now I'm starting to get an idea of how he actually should look. Where they operated on his head to stop a bleed on the brain looks the worst. The stitches will leave a hell of a scar but if he grows his hair out a little it won't be too noticeable. I wonder if he has any visitors? There are aren't many get well soon cards in here. But then again, he's not awake yet to read them so maybe no one thought they'd be of any use to him just yet.
Tony Perry. That's what's written on his notes.
It's 8am and I'm done for the night. I gather my bag and jacket and after signing over to the day staff, I head off.
I reach my apartment, kick my shoes off, grab something to eat and go to bed. I have a blackout blind so I can sleep during the day. I'm so tired but the hospital is short staffed so I do 5 nights a week as that's where they struggle the most. I'm glad to have something to do though. I don't have any friends around here so it's just me and my cat, Delilah. I've been here 5 years. Ever since I qualified as a nurse actually. I'm single. No one would ever want to be in a relationship with me. I'm a bit fatter than I should be. I have lost a lot of weight but there's still more to go. I know I can do it though so like Tony and his recovery, I'll get there when I get there.