Chapter 20

Lauren won't stop crying. Did I do something to freak her out? I hold her to me, desperate not to let her go again. I kiss the top of her head as she lets all the pent up emotions out. I lead her to the sofa in her lounge, kicking the door shut as we move and pull her down onto my lap. I can see clearly she's not ok. She's been quiet all night but I have the impression she's not a loud person anyway and Danielle did say she's painfully shy. I hold her to me and after a considerable amount of time her sobs die down. I lift her chin gently so she's looking at me.
"Tell me what's wrong. Please. I don't want you to be sad. You seemed ok earlier. Did I do something to upset you?"
She softly shakes her head when I suggest that. She seems to be trying to say something but can't get it out. Her look tells me.
"I had tests done last week. I might have the breast cancer gene and I didn't want to say anything because you'll run away and I haven't told anyone as I don't have anyone to tell and I'm scared. So scared. My aunt died from it a couple of years ago and my mum and sister have both had it. It runs in our family. And you won't want to be with me if I'm ill but you probably don't want to be with me anyway and...."
I kiss her. She's rambling and so upset. So I kiss her. A gentle kiss to reassure her.
"You don't know if you have it yet. You might not. Face that hurdle if and when you come to it" I whisper. She looks at me with fear in her eyes.
"I'll come with you to the hospital when you need to go ok. You won't be on your own. You were there for me and I didn't even really know it so I will be there for you, every step of the way. Ok?"
"I can't ask you to do that" she whispers.
"You're not asking me. I want to be there for you. You never gave up on me when they said I wouldn't make it. I won't give up on you."
She nods a tiny nod and I wrap my arms around her again. I love having her in my arms. This feels so right. We sit like that for a while. No talking. Just comfortable silence.