Chapter 24

The words are out of my mouth before I can stop them, but it's ok. Even though she's asleep I wanted to say them. It's true. I do love her. I kiss her cheek again before leaving the room. I don't want to leave her alone so I collapse on her sofa, pulling the throw over me. I feel my eyes close and I fall asleep to the memory of Lauren's smile.
I'm woken up the next morning by singing.

It's you, it's you, it's all for you
Everything I do
I tell you all the time
Heaven is a place on earth with you
Tell me all the things you wanna do
I heard that you like the bad girls
Honey, is that true?
It's better than I ever even knew
They say that the world was built for two
Only worth living if somebody is loving you
Baby, now you do

I recognise the song but can't place it at first - I just know Lauren's voice has made me shudder with its brilliance. I hear her bedroom door open and I sit up on the sofa, hearing her voice stop as she sees me. She smiles shyly and blushes as red as a rose.
"Hi" I whisper as I stand and walk over to her.
"I didn't want to leave you alone last night so I camped out on your sofa. How are you today?" I ask as I take her into my arms. She holds onto me as though her life depends on it.
"I'm ok. Relieved that's all over with" referring to yesterday I assume.
"I'm sorry I woke you with my singing" she whispers. I shake my head.
"I loved it. Your voice has so much emotion in it. I know the song but I can't think what it's called" I tell her.
"Video Games by Lana Del Rey" she mumbles, still not able to meet my eye.
"Always look up" I whisper as I gently tilt her face up toward my own, kissing her softly.
"You're too beautiful to hide that face."
She shakes her head at my words, breaking my heart. She really doesn't see what I'm seeing. I take her hand and lead her to her bedroom. There's a dressing table there with a mirror on it. I stand next to her in front of the mirror.
"What do you see?" I ask. She looks at me confused.
"I see myself and a beautiful young lady. I see your green eyes. I see your freckles. I see the girl who lacks confidence. I see you, Lauren. You're beautiful. Do you see that too?" She shakes her head. I turn her towards me and kiss her again. I hold that kiss for a while and she's glowing when we break apart. I quickly turn her to the mirror again. Her eyes open in surprise as she sees this glowing version of herself. She looks as if she wants to touch the mirror to see if it's really her. I move so I'm behind her and wrap my arms around her and our heads are next to each others. She looks and smiles.
"I like the way we look together" I whisper as I hold her. She's perfect, to me at least.