8

Jake POV

I looked over the book for hours until my head hurt and I wanted to rip my eyes out of my head.

“UHHHGGG” I yelled. “What's wrong?” Jungwon said as he walked in my room.

“I’m just trying to understand this book. I can barely understand any of the words. Like look at this word, it ends in ‘ire’. Like what could it be that ends in ‘ire’? Umpire? Sapphire? None of these make sense!” I slapped my hands to my head.

“It probably means Campfire, this book is about the school right? We are in the middle of the cold woods,  probably had lots of fires to stay warm. That book is probably pretty useless.” Jungwon said as he took the book from my hands and set it down next to me.

“Or maybe Desire, just like my desire to be in love.” Sunoo swooned as he danced around my room.

“Why are you guys dressed like college boys?” I asked.

“The party remembered, we did our homework and thought it would be fun. You should come with us Jakeie.” Junwon said.

“I don't know, this school gives me the creeps.” I told them.

“Nothing bad has happened, just weird but maybe this place is just different. And think about it, we could make some friends here.” Sunoo said.

I sat there thinking about it for a bit. “Fine, we can go. I won’t be happy about it though.” I said.

“Yay!” They cheered. “Now common Hyung, we need to get you ready. You can’t go out looking like that.”

-

“Okay so, where exactly in the woods is this place?” I asked my roomates as we stepped outside.

“Um, not exactly sure…..” Jungwon said. “It’ll be okay, we can just walk around until we find it.”

“I can't believe I’m going along with this.” I sighed as I pinched the bridge of my nose. “So we are wondering around the woods until we find people?”

“Yes” They chirped.

We started walking through the thick of the woods, but we still haven't heard anybody after half an hour. I was shaking from the cold as we crunched through the dark fallen leafs.

“Lets just split up, once one of us finds the party we can call the others and share our location.” Sunoo said.

“Itn’t that like, the first rule of horror movies? Don't split up?” Jungwon said. I agreed, I haven told them yet but in all honesty I’m afraid of the dark.

“Oh don’t be silly. Jungwon you go left, Jake go right, and I’ll go forward. Nothing bad will happen.” Sunoo said as he made us all stop. “Don;t be babies guys.” He rolled his eyes and went the other way.

I stayed still, until Jungwon went his direction and I was left all alone. 

“It’s okay Jake, just go forward. Nothing bad will happen.” I told myself as I walked through the dark as I used my phone for a flashlight.

The light wind passed my face, but the only sounds I could hear were my own footsteps.

“Whoosh” I heard a bit to my left. I turned and shone my light tht direction. Maybe someone is over there? Hopefully they know the way to the party.

Even if they don’t, I’d rather not be alone.

I walked into the direction of the sound, as my foot hit something and I fell on the ground. I felt the damp leaves around me as I looked around for my phone after I dropped it on the fall. I couldn’t see anything.

I finally found the light and looked around to see what tripped me. 

There was a girl laying face down in the dirt.

“H-hey are you okay?” I asked. She didn’t say anything. “Hey lady, do you need help?”

I reached my arm to her shoulder and turned her over. My breathing stopped and everything got even colder.

She looked almost blue, drained and lifeless. She has some little wounders on her neck with dried blood, but she just looked up to the sky with scared, dead eyes.

“Oh shit.” I tried shaking her. “Please be alive, please.” I said. Not only am I lost in the woods by myself, but now I’ve found a dead body. I was shaking in fear.

“SOMEBODY HELP!” I yelled, but all I could hear was the echos of my own voice.

I took a look down at the girl again, but the more I looked the more freaked out I got.

Her hand looked like it was decomposing as parts of her flesh were missing and just the bone was showing.

“How long have you been dead-”

“What are you doing here!” I nearly screamed from the voice behind me. I turned around and pointed my light at the figure.

“Sunghoon, what are you doing here?” I asked, visibly shaking. 

“What are you doing here. In the woods by yourself, why did you think that was a good idea.” He looked mad as he walked to me and pulled me up. He started walking away with me until I protested.

“We can’t leave this girl.” I said.

“Jake, she’s been dead for a long time. Now come on, we should go. You can come back to my dorm until we find your friends.”

“Hold the phone sir, how do you know shes been dead for a long time? In fact, how do you know her! Did you….” My mouth felt dry. “Did you kill her?” I asked.

“No you idiot, I didn’t touch her. And it’s more complicated than what you think, can we please just go!” He begged in an angry way. I shook his hand off mine.

“Why are you so adamant on taking me?” Oh shit, I’ve seen enough horror movies to know what's going on. He’s trying to kidnap me. I need to get away.

I looked at him and bolted in the other direction. “Jake, let's not do this.” but I ignored him and kept running.

That's until I saw the glimpse of what looked like another person on the ground, or more accurately another body. I stopped and within a few seconds Sunghoons chest was in front of me, his arms wrapped around me so I didn’t see the body.

“You’ve seen enough for today, please. Let's just go.”

“I-I’ll only go if we make sure Sunoo and Jungwon are okay.” I said as I tried to stop the tears from flowing from my eyes.

I’ve seen too many things I didn’t want to see. “Okay I promise. I’m pretty sure they are at the party nearby. I’ll show you the way, but please don’t leave my side. The kids there get crazy at night.” He said and I nodded.

He gently held my wrist and started walking in a direction.

Once this night is done, I need answers.