9

After walking, we finally came to an area of the woods lit up by a campfire. Students were partying around and Sunghoon led me until we met Jay, Heeseung, and Niki.

“Go get Jungwon and Sunoo and take them to our dorms.” Sunghoon told them, and they asked no questions as they went to retrieve the two.

I felt someone shove something in my hand, the one sunghoon wasn’t holding onto.

I turned around to find Yeji, she put a paper in my hand and gave me an urgent look, but hid it with a smile.”Hey Jake, didn’t know you’d be here.” Why did she give me a note?

“Uh, hey Yeji.” I looked at her, she looked even paler and tired. The scarf she normally wore around her neck was no longer there and I saw the same puncture wounds I saw on the dead girl in the woods.

What are those?

“Hey Yeji, come here cutie.” A girl in the crowd called. “Coming Ryujin.” She said. She began walking off, but not before she looked at my hand, signaling something.

She must have given me another note. I put it in my jeans pocket and Sunghoon got my attention.

“They are getting them, let’s go. I don’t like being here any longer than I need to.” He said as I walked with him. He looked uncomfortable, like something here was making him uneasy.

As I turned to walk with him, I smelt it. I’m not sure where it came from, but it’s the scent that made me sick my whole life.

Blood.

The smell of the iron and rust from the blood filled my nose making me sick to my stomach, but it kept coming. I saw Sunghoon make a weird face as he reacted to the scent, but it softened when he saw the state I was in. The scent wouldn’t go away, until I felt my eyes roll and everything went black.

-

“Is he going to be okay?” “Jake please, you're scaring me.” I opened my eyes to see my two friends right next to me. The second they saw my movement they hugged me.

“Oh Jake, we were so scared! Don’t do that again.” Jungwon pleaded.

“W-where am I? What happened?” I asked. “Before you continue, drink some water. I don’t want you to faint again.” Sunoo said as he shoved a glass into my hands.

I looked around as I slowly took sips. I saw Jay, Heeseung, Niki, and Sunghoon standing a few feet behind my friends. They all looked concerned, especially Sunghoon.

We were in a dorm living room, except this dorm looked 10 times nicer than ours. It had high ceilings and fancy furniture. Where was I?

“Back to my questions, where am I and what happened.” I asked my friends.

“Well where you are is easy, we are in Heeseung, Jay, Sunghoon, and Niki's dorm room. And what happened, I don’t really know.” Jungwon said as he turned to his friends.

Sunghoon signed. “We were about to leave the party and head here, and then you fainted. I didn’t know what was wrong so I brought you here. That was about five hours ago.”

“Five hours?! Jeez, no wonder you two look so wrecked.” I said, referring to Sunoo and Jungwon. “The four of you must stay up a lot, you look completely normal.” I said to the others.

“We are all insomniacs.” Heeseung said with a smile. Fair enough, works for me.

“Do you remember anything, Jake hyung?” Sunoo asked.

“N-not really. I remember bits and pieces but not the full story. Maybe I was just dehydrated, I didn’t drink much today.” I said as they gave me more water.

What I said was a lie, I remember everything. I remember the dead bodies, I remember the strange bite marks, and I remember the scent of blood.

“Okay, well I’m glad you are okay Jake. I’m not sure what we would do without you.” Jungwon said as I gave him a small smile.

“What time is it?” I asked. “About 3 in the morning.” Heeseung answered as he checked his phone.

“Oh gosh, should we get going? I’d hate to have us intrude.” Sunoo said to the four boys.

“It’s okay, just spend the night here. Jake isn’t in any state to leave and its dark and cold outside.” Heeseung said. “Follow me Sunoo and Jungwon, I’ll show you the showers and find some spare clothes for you.”

The three of them went upstairs and I was left alone with Jay, Niki, and Sunghoon.

“So, you don’t remember anything?” Jay asked, looking nervous.

“No, not a thing.” I lied. Sunghoon looked at me.

“Stop lying.” He said, I looked at him in shock. “Why does it matter if I’m lying.”

“This situation is bigger than you think, pup. You need to tell us what you know.” Sunghoon demanded.

What is he trying to hide? The dead bodies, the bite marks, the blood. And it all ties back to the ‘ire’ word I found in the book.

Vampire

“How did you know I was lying?” I asked, trying to differ from his previous statement. He looked at his friends, none of them knew what to say.

“It’s…. it’s my heart beat isn’t it.” I said as they all looked at me in shock. “The pace of a heartbeat changes when you lie.”

“Oh we are so fucked.” Jay said. “How would we know if your heartbeat changed?” Niki countered.

“Because you can hear it, can’t you.” I said as Sunghoon gave me an evil eye.

“I thought humans were supposed to be idiots, why is this one smart?” Niki groaned.

I rolled my eyes at them. “You guys better start explaining what’s going on here.” They all just stared at me, and for once, Niki looked scared. He always did a good job seeming emotionless, but now he looked terrified.

“Niki, Jay, you guys go help maake Sunoo and Jungwon comfortable. I’ll talk to him.” Sunghoon said. Jay went upstairs as Niki slowly followed, but before he gave Sunghoon a pleading look. What was he hiding?