job

i meet kris at 7am outside the cafe. i don't know how i didn't notice this before, but this is a CAT CAFE??!!?!??!!? why did dream and george not tell me?

kris unlocks the cafe as we are the first to arrive before the opening at 8am. they live above the cafe and take care of the cats after closing time, another reason to absolutely love them. i have to thank dream and george for taking me here. i can tell this is going to change my life for the better.

flickering a few times, the lights eventually turn on and kris introduces me to a few of the cats before we start setting everything up. immediately, i fall in love with a tabby named tiger. kris practically has to drag me away from him so we can be on time to open.

they get to work setting up various coffee machines, teaching me how to do each one as they do. as they finish the last one, they let me know that they're going to be overseeing me until they're confident that i can make all the drinks by myself - i've had no experience.

soon enough, its time to open the shop. i go and flip the sign round to 'open' as kris opens the blinds and unlocks the door. five minutes go by before our first customer arrives. it's a young girl with wavy brown hair. she orders a mocha and i go about trying to make it, kris hovering over me and telling me each step. when it's done, the girl pays and sits down with her coffee at a small, round table in the corner, a white fluffy cat almost instantly making itself at home on her lap.

kris congratulates me on completing my first order, giving me a high five as the next customers come in.

after nearly a whole day of making various drinks and some food, our last customers arrive at 4:50pm before we close at 5pm. it's a couple in their early-twenties. one man with fluffy brown hair falling over his eyes, rainbow nail polish on his fingers and a colour-block hoodie, the other man, slightly shorter, has a white top with a flame on the front over a black long-sleeved shirt. they looked cool.

"can you order for me?" i hear the fluffy-haired man ask the shorter one in a soft tone.

"of course, honey," he responds, walking over to me and kris behind the counter, "hi, we'll take one ..."

distracted by his boyfriend who's gone over to pet tiger, i don't hear the rest of the order and i only snap back to reality when kris elbows me in the ribs.

"i'm so sorry," i say, quickly, "i got distracted, could you repeat that for me?"

he looks at me with a small smile before repeating his order for me and i make sure to listen to what he's saying this time.

i make their drinks and quickly bring them to the table they're sitting at: the same one that the girl from this morning was at.

"one caramel iced coffee and one cappuccino," i say, gently placing their drinks on the table, "would you like your reciept?"

"n-" the one with the flame top starts before the fluffy-haired one interrupts him.

"yes, please!"

"of course, i'll be right back with that." i respond.

karl pov:

i begin to pick at my nail polish - a bad nervous habit of mine. i don't like speaking in public.

"why did you do that? we don't need the receipt." sapnap says, causing me to look up at him.

"i have a plan," i respond, sapnap raising his eyebrow at me, sceptically, "if we have the receipt we can-"

the server arrives with the receipt, causing me to cut myself off.

"here you go, enjoy your drinks!" he says, nerves apparent in his voice. i wonder why.

"thank you." sapnap responds, "carry on, karl."

"okay. if we have the receipt, we can write our numbers on the back. he's cute! and we both want another person in this relationship. of course, we don't have to start dating him immediately, we can just become friends first. i don't know, he seems nice." my speech is sped up, i'm anxious that sapnap won't want this but its worth trying, right?

he sits there for a minute, as if trying to comprehend the words that just spewed out of my mouth. oh god, he doesn't want to, does he?

"...okay. i mean, we don't even know if he likes men, karl. but," he pauses, contemplating, "sure, let's give it a go."

i start excitedly clapping, scaring the cat on my lap that i almost forgot was there, "oh, sorry." i say to the cat and start stroking it again.

as the cat slowly falls back asleep on my lap, sapnap asks me for my pen so he can write our numbers on the receipt, which i hand over. he then finishes his drink.

the worker, noticing that we've both finished our drinks, walks over to collect our empty cups. he notices me still stroking the tabby in my lap.

"that one's called tiger," he says, beaming at me, "he's my favourite one, but don't tell the others."

i giggle and mock a gasp, "you can't have favourites!"

"how could you?!" sapnap joins in, shaking his head with fake disappointment.

"i know, i know. how scandalous of me?" the worker smiles.

"hey," sapnap starts once the laughter dies down, "if you don't mind me asking, what's your name?"

"i'm alex, but my friends call me quackity. don't ask me how that name came about, i don't even remember."

"i also have a weird nickname. i'm nick, but my friends call me sapnap and this is karl." he points to me.

"i don't have a weird nickname." i say.

"boring." quackity replies.

"hey!" i act offended which makes the other two laugh.

"okay, okay. i've gotta go wash these up and start to pack things away, guys. see you around!" quackity says before leaving.

"i like him." sapnap says, folding his arms and leaning back in his chair.

quackity pov:

i finish washing up and helping kris to pack away and turn off the machines now it's gone 5pm. going out to the front of the shop, i notice that karl and sapnap are gone and a wave of sadness washes over me. why?

something catches my eye from their table so i walk over and see that they left their receipt and a $10 tip. i gasp in amazement and gratefulness. they didn't have to do that! i pick up the ten dollars, revealing the receipt which has writing on it. upon further examination, i see that they wrote their numbers down. this is great!

immediately, i pull out my phone and add their numbers to my contacts, sending them both the same text, which reads:

me: hey, it's alex/quackity :)

now, to wait for their responses.

----------------------------------

1128 words

two chapters in two days woah

also a pov change???

THE BEGINNING OF KARLNAPITY WOOOO