Encounter

xxx

"Let's get the hecky heck outta here!"

"I'll see you tomorrow then"

"No choice.. I paid for this degree.", my tired eyes turned towards my best friend before waving at her simultaneously while walking towards my bike.

"pretty sure I'm the living embodiment of 'it couldn't be worse'" ,
I said to myself as I connect my earbuds and ride through the gates of my institute.

The sun was about to go down as I was peacefully riding my car in the slowest lane possible, a few more inches and I could be running over pedestrians.
On the last roundabout, where people seemed to have abandoned earth and moved to Mars, I carelessly turned up the volume and sang along to my favorite song.

(ps. What song u listening to?)

Suddenly it felt as if I wasn't driving my car anymore;
As if it was out of my control because of something speeding it up from behind. It didn't take long for me to realize that I was being pushed by another vehicle.
As the haven of music filtered, I heard a screeching sound of tyres whilst I pressed my brakes hard causing the biker to be dragged down on the road by his bike itself..... Until it all halted with his bike's exterior being rubbed away from the face of earth.
His helmet fell off as he lay on the road, red crimson slowly oozing out of his cheekbone with a fresh tint, engulfing the surface around it.

That's when my hands felt as if they were detached from my body and my legs as if they were never there.
My breath hitched as it rushed to my head to take him to the hospital.
It was impossible that he would have survived if I waited for an ambulance since the blood river kept on dissipating.

I was panicking hard because had I been that man, I would have passed out seeing all that blood..
Passed out.. Right
I should go and check if he's alive.

"Are you.. Are you okay?", I asked.
How silly y/n, do you think he is OK?

The man neither spoke, nor turned.
He's definitely dead.

Oh no no.. His pulse is active.

After checking his neck artery and realising that I had wasted some precious time in stupid decision making and couldn't possibly waste more in driving my car through the city traffic, I mounted his bike heroically;
Took off my slightly bloodstained scarf and aligned his unconscious body right behind mine tying his torso tightly around my body.

Good thing my father had taught me to ride even racer bikes.
Though, this one was very complicated with various buttons godknows for what... I took a breath in before starting on a rescue mission of the stranger.

"Just hang in there, I've got your back", I said to his unconscious self actually literally hanging out there.. Except.. He was the one who had my back.
.
.
As I reached there with my inbuilt siren shouting,
"EMERGENCY EMERGENCY!!
GET THE STRETCHER"

A stretcher was immediately made available and yet again I took my stranger on a ride, bathed in blood by now, near the operation theatre.

"Goddamn DOCTOR JUST LOOK AT HIM.", I was barely in my senses.

"he's loosing blood", the doctor immediately rushed him inside a room which was not the operation ward while I stood outside chewing my nails.
.
.
After a few minutes the doctor came out and looked around most probably in search of me.

"Doc, is he okay? Why didn't you operate him?
Is he alive?", I asked it all in a single breath.

"Relax.. All he got were some major cuts.. Blood was alot.. But those weren't big deals.

Physically he's alright but the impact must have been deep, he's still unconscious.", Doctor Kahn, as his name tag read, explained.

"OH NO... DID HE GO INTO COMA?
Poor guy", I exclaimed.

Honestly, I was responsible for this accident too.
I was listening to music carelessly on the road and who knows.. Maybe he was honking at me to move aside while I never listened.
Guilt was slowly but steadily taking over me before the doctor interrupted,

"no no.. He is fine.
He should be up in an hour or two."

"AN HOUR OR TWO!"

Doctor Kahn left a desolate me behind to run more errands unlike me who now has to cancel all my plans for the day just to make up for my silly mistake.

My guilty conscience was pinching me to apologize to his lifeless mien laying on the cold, monotonous bed, unmoving to the point I would say he's surely gone into another dimension.
Nevertheless, I called my mother and lied about staying at my friend's house for the night.. Because he definitely didn't look like will open his eyes in an hour or two.

Rather, the man looked comfortably  asleep as if he had gotten a fluffy bed to feel snug and take a break from stress.

"I should search his wallet and inform some family member..", I slowly put my hand in his front pocket and then back pocket to pull out his wallet.
It would be safe to say that He had a really good built.
I kept averting my eyes from him every time they involuntarily stuck at him.

"ah found it", I opened his black wallet.

To my utter shock, there was not a single penny in there, no cards or photograph.
There was only one golden colored card with white border upon which a calligraphic "JW" was printed.
Must be some business card.
But why doesn't he have a license?

I was planning to call his relatives and compensate for the accident, but why is it being like I have to stay the night for him??
Isn't this too much for a silly mistake?

I look at him with a whiny look on my face and I swear, for a moment, I think I saw his eyes open.. But I'm not sure.. How could he be awake and not give a big reaction huh?

After about half an hour, the doctor came on a night shift and asked me if he became conscious.. But to no avail.

"Doctor I think I'll go home. Can I hire a nurse to tend to this patient?", I regretfully inform.

"umm.. Well okay, I'll send a nurse to fill in", he went on his usual round.

There was silence in the ward once again. It was just me and him.
I had more regrets than fear of being in a room with a stranger.
I could have prevented this... But then, maybe it was just fate.
If he was destined to fall then what could I have...,

I gave myself vague explanations while I made up my mind to head out.
Just when I adjusted my sling bag across my shoulder,
An unusual grasp held my hand tightly.

"Holy mother of-", I jumped in my tracks.

As I looked down, it was the stranger grabbing my hand with all the strength his lifeless body could collect,

while blabbering

"Don't..  Go...
Don't..."

I look up at his face blankly only to see a painful expression on his face. Eyes squinted as if he was hurting on the inside while his hands shivered.
It seemed like he was having a nightmare.

Thank Heavens he is alright.
.
.