[4] The Absence of Faith

i wish that someway, somehow, that i could save every one of us

that i could save every one of us

but the truth is that
i'm only one girl

weight of the world
keiichi okabe

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

One step after the other, the darkness swallowed up any remaining light as you journeyed further into the tunnels, your heart unsteady as you grew unsure of what you'd find down here.

All you knew it wasn't good, obviously. Nothing is ever good when your sixth sense reacts, but to coax such a reaction from you? It was a huge problem, and you weren't sure if you were ready to deal with it on your own.

"Dawn, activate night-mode." You muttered, air growing thick with anticipating as you strained your eyes to peek further into the dark.

"Night-mode, initiated."

Your shoulders grew tense at the new found sight, cringing into yourself as you watched a rat scatter across the tunnels with a squeak, the flea-infested rodent plunging itself in the trash littered about to hide itself. "Nice to know they're keeping this place clean." You muttered, rolling your shoulders as you kept moving.

The nice little tune you hummed to yourself calmed a fraction of your nerves, your mind reeling back to the couple at the substation. You hoped they had gotten home safely, especially with Naomi's sprained ankle.

"On your left."

Stopping in your tracks, you turned to the left to see another path, a tall gate denying anyone entrance with the incorrect clearance. As you grew closer, you could see the classic 'Do Not Trespass' sign smacked on there, along with other warnings, but what stuck out most to you was the familiar company logo.

Alchemax.

The tips of your fingers traced the bolded letters in wonder and confusion, only to flinch in impulse to the feedback your sixth sense was feeding you. Confusion etched its way between your brows, face scrunching as you searched your brain for plausible answers. This was definitely the reason you were down here, but what could such a cooperation like Alchemax be doing down here? And why hide it?

Clicking your tongue in annoyance, your eyes trailed up the gate to quite a large gap at the top, completely defeating the purpose of keeping people out. You almost laughed.

Without even thinking about it, you climbed up and over the gate, goosebumps crawling up your skin like pesky bugs as you jumped back down.