Hatching Ideas

"Comin' in hot, Kel!" Desmond warned as he chucked a Dharma Pop Tart at his partner. Kelvin stuck his hand in the air without looking, as always, ready to intercept the Pop Tart mid-flight. When he did not feel the breakfast delicacy collide with his hand, Kelvin stopped brewing coffee and looked down at the floor, where the Dharma Pop Tart lay in pieces.

After what seemed like an eternity, Kelvin finally raised his eyes to meet the disbelief and heartbreak in Desmond's chestnut brown ones. "I-I don't know what to say, pal," the Scottish man said. "You've never botched our routine before." The older man snatched up the freshly-brewed pot of coffee and started chasing Desmond around the station. The attempt to burn his partner with piping hot coffee was unsuccessful, however, as the Scotsman was a wee bit younger and more spry. As Desmond veered into the bedroom and effortlessly dove onto the top bunk, Kelvin finally decided to cease the madness. "Des," he began, panting, "you are fast!" When his partner continued to silently cower, Kelvin urged him to come down and eat his breakfast. "Come on, Desmundo, I'm not gonna waste this coffee on you!" Seeing how fatigued his slightly older partner appeared to be, Desmond decided that it was probably safe to come down off the top bunk. Sighing, Desmond swung his legs off the edge of the bed. "Alright," he began, "back away, brother." Kelvin moved back into the kitchen to pour the coffee and make himself another Pop Tart, hearing a soft thud as Desmond's feet hit the ground. Kelvin scoffed as he thought of his partner's habit of jumping off the top bunk as a way of asserting his dominance.

Desmond gobbled up the last of his Dharma Pop Tart as Kelvin finally joined him in the booth. "You know," the American man began, "maybe our routine is getting a bit stale." When Desmond gave him a puzzled look, Kelvin explained further, "Maybe we should spice things up a little, you know, we could use some variety!" Desmond pondered this as he watched his partner dig in to his Pop Tart, fresh out of the toaster. The Scotsman agreed that maybe, if they freshened up their usual routine, Kelvin wouldn't have had the urge to pour hot coffee over his head. "But what do you suggest, then?" Desmond inquired. "What I'm suggesting is the First-And-Hopefully-Last Swan Station Olympics!" He exclaimed. "U.S. versus Scotland. What do you say, Des?" Desmond considered this for a moment. With a smile, he responded, "Alright, brother, I'm in!" And with a high five, the two men began laying the foundation for what would be the first-ever international button-pushing competition.