Man of Science, Man of Faith

Desmond had been stroking Kelvin's hair for a while before he realized that his partner had fallen asleep.  The Scottish man stood up ever so carefully before placing a blanket over his roommate and carrying Charlie with him over to the dining room table.  Placing the boar in the booth across from him, Desmond slid a plate of leftover penne pasta from lunch in Charlie's direction.  Desmond giggled softly as their new pet gobbled it right up like he hadn't seen food for weeks.  "It's good, yeah?"  Desmond whispered to his friend, who snorted approvingly.  "Kelvin's so full of it," Desmond continued, "penne is the best."  

(Beep...beep...beep)

Desmond was harshly brought back to reality after sharing a nice moment with Charlie when he realized that it was time to push the button.  Sighing, he slid out of the booth and padded into the computer room, Charlie in tow, to type in the Numbers.  As the clock reset, the Scot walked back into the living room just as Kelvin was beginning to stir.  As he awoke from his slumber, the American man noticed that he had fallen asleep on the couch.  Not only that, but he had been made nice and comfy with a blanket!  Kelvin also vaguely remembered his prior meltdown, during which Desmond had comforted him.  As his roommate approached him, Kelvin asked why Desmond had been so nice after he had been lied to and manipulated.  Crouching on the floor in front of the couch, Desmond explained that, even though Kelvin had lied to him, he still cared about the bloke.  

"You're my life now," he told his bestie.  "You and Charlie."  The boar piglet's ears perked up upon hearing his name.  "If you've lost your faith," Desmond continued, "then I'll help you find it again."  Kelvin shook his head.  "But I've been pressing that damn button for God knows how long," he lamented, "and look where it's gotten me."  Desmond placed a hand on Kelvin's shoulder as he continued complaining.  "Nothing's ever happened, Des," Kelvin said, "It's not real.  How can we keep pushing that button knowing that it could all be for nothing?"  After a while of pondering, Desmond finally spoke.  "Kelvin, you're a man of science," he began.  "You need something real, something concrete to believe in."  Kelvin stared at his roommate as he continued to speak.  "But me?" Desmond continued, "I'm a man of faith.  And I will continue to push it, because I believe in a greater purpose."  Puzzled, Kelvin's brow furrowed as he responded, "Which is?"  Desmond replied, "I don't know yet."  Even so, Desmond's never-wavering confidence in the button was somewhat inspiring to Kelvin.  The older man still did not believe that typing a sequence of numbers into a computer from the '70s every 108 minutes wasn't totally for nothing, but he could continue to do it for Desmond.  For a while, at least.