Part Two: Chapter XXIII

HAML, CHINA
NOVEMBER 27, 3065

Starlight woke up in the darkness again. Every time she fell asleep now, she always ended up here. But Kai was never there, no matter how much she wished he was. She wasn't really sure why she wanted to see him, especially since he was just a figment of her imagination, but she was sure that it was just because she was still angry with him for messing everything up.

She looked around and saw the light. She sighed and walked towards it, her boots clicking against the nothingness. She grasped the doorknob and turned it, causing the door to swing inwards silently. She steppes into a circular room filled with coffins.

One coffin in particular caught her attention. It had a clear front and she was pretty sure she recognized the boy inside. He head hung down with his chin resting on his chest and his eyes were closed. She walked closer and his head slowly began to rise. Surprisingly, she wasn't frightened. Just intrigued.

The boy lifted his head completely and slowly opened his eyes, revealing red orbs that made Starlight's hair stand on end as he stared into her soul. "Beware the girl with the mask," he said with a raspy voice.

Starlight cocked her head to the side. "Huh?"

"You're too late."

It was then that she caught a glimpse of something flashing as a reflection against the glass of the coffin. But she didn't have time to turn around and see what it was. She screamed and looked down as a sharp blade sliced through her back and ripped clean through her chest. She wrapped her hands around the blade and looked up at the boy in the coffin. The last thing she saw was her splattered blood against the coffin, and the boy whispering, "Beware the girl with the mask."

********

She woke up breathing hard. She was in a cold sweat despite the fact that it was now winter and snow covered the mountains all around and yet here she was, with her blankets kicked off and sweating like crazy. Her hands were still trembling.

She took a few deep breaths to calm herself as she listened to the sounds of the men packing up camp and getting ready for another day of truding through the snow towards Ürümqi.

Tao poked his head into her tent and frowned. "Everything okay?"

Starlight nodded quickly. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just another bad dream."

"Again?"

"Yeah, but it's okay."

"Same as last time?"

"No, but with the same message."

"Beware the girl with the mask?"

"Yeah, I think she killed me this time...."

"Oh....did you see her?"

"No."

Tao hugged Starlight gently and rocked her back and forth. "Maybe she's just apart of your imagination. Don't worry. Everything will be fine soon. We'll be back with your brother before you know it."

"Glad that you're so optimistic," she mumbled sarcastically.

"You used to be the same way. But you've changed."

Starlight shrugged. "I matured I guess."

Tao was silent for a few moments before sighing. "Pack up. If we keep moving at this pace, we'll be in Ürümqi by next month."

Starlight rolled her eyes as Tao walked out. "Oh yay. We'll be at the place where there's a huge army waiting to kill us. That's just lovely."

"Whatever Starlight. Just pack!"

"Yes sir."