Part Two: Chapter XVII

IN THE MOUNTAINS FIFTEEN MILES FROM DA QAIDAM, CHINA
JUNE 10, 3065

"SIR!!" screamed Baro. "MOST OF OUR MEN HAVE DIED! YOU MUST FLEE!!"

"I WILL NOT ABANDON MY PEOPLE," screamed back Tao over the blanketing sounds of battle.

It was revolting. Battle always was. The mountain was littered with lifeless bodies and coated in blood. The smell was enough to knock a man over. Tao and his men had fought fearlessly, but they didn't stand a chance. Qiang's whole army had yet to appear, and the freedom fighters were already spent. It wouldn't be long before they were completely wiped out.

Then, like the rumbling of a thunderstorm over the next mountain came a roar louder than a lion's. It shook the very bones inside every man's chest. The battle seemed to freeze as they all turned their heads to the dark sky.

There, like a bright lamp in a dark room, flew in the fierce chinese dragon. It's scales sparkled and gleamed, and it's face snarled and shot terror into the men's hearts. On it's back rode the most majestic dragon rider Tao had ever seen. It was Chanyeol.

Chanyeol and the dragon seemed to move togeather as one. He yelled and the beast opened its jaws and unleashed an uncontroalable inferno onto Qiang's army. The men were thrown into chaos as the dragon and its rider landed among them.

Chanyeol yelled as he shot more flames at his adversaries and the dragon ripped off the heads of men with its teeth and sliced others in half with its tail.

"BAND TOGETHER MEN!!!" Tao yelled to those he had still standing. "LET US JOIN OUR BROTHER IN BATTLE!!!" Those who were still alive joined the cry and ran back against Qiang's men, new strength and hope surging through them.

Qiang watched from a distant hill, his face turning from smug pride to anger. "Sir," his assistant whispered in a timid voice. "The freedom fighters are rallying!"

"I see that," Qiang stated. "Pull back. We can't beat that dragon just yet."

A horn sounded over the mountains and Qiang's army retreated. The freedom fighters didn't pursue them very far before returning to administer to their wounded.

Tao found Chanyeol among the sea of bodies and clasped his forearms just as he had done before. "We live to fight another day," he said proudly. "And it's all because of you."

Chanyeol nodded. "And Léi-shēng," the fire-wolf said, turning to look at the dragon. "We couldn't have done it without him."

"You have a lot to tell me, my friend."

"Oh yeah. Quite a bit."