8. They stopped trying after I broke a few of their bones.

Luciana Point of View:

                                                           Flash Back Almost Twelve Years Ago.

My eyes filled with tears once again, as I stepped off the plane. I was alone and scared. I didn't know what to do. I waited by the gate until I saw one of the attendants and I followed behind her.

She seemed like a nice lady. It took her a while to notice that I was lurking behind her. She then stopped walking and turned around to look at me.

"Are you lost sweetheart?", She asked me nicely with a comforting smile.

I nodded at her, afraid I would start to cry if I spoke. She smiled again and took my tiny hand in hers. She led me to a small room with a sofa and tv in it.

The nice lady handed me a juice box and let me watch cartoons on the tv. It took awhile but another lady showed up. The airplane lady then left me alone with the new woman.

"Hi honey", She nicely said, " I heard that you were lost."

I nodded as I sipped the last bit of my juice.

"Did your mom or dad get on the plane with you?", She asked me.

A few tears ran down my face as I shook my head.

"It's okay sweetheart, don't cry", She cooed and placed her hand on my shoulder," I'll get you back to them. It just might take a while."

I smiled at her words.

"However, I can't let you stay here. How about we go to a place where a lot of other kids are, yeah?"

We then went outside to her car. I got into the back seat and we went to a large house. A very nice middle aged woman named Ms. Peters greeted us at the front door.

While the two women were talking, my eyes drifted to a window upstairs. A pair of big brown eyes were peering out at me. I had to look again to make sure I knew what I was looking at. Before I could look back, the eyes were gone.

Ms. Peters then tapped my shoulder, gaining my attention. "What's your name honey?", She asked me.

"Mama always told me not to tell strangers my name", I muttered.

"But we need to know it so we can get you back to your mama", the nice lady explained to me.

I shook my head at her.

"My name is Ava", She told me," Now we aren't strangers anymore."

"I'm Luciana", I smiled at her.

"And do you know your last name?", She asked me as she wrote my name on paper.

I stayed silent, not wanting to tell her anymore.

Ms. Peters placed her hand on Ava's shoulder and sighed, "It's been a long day for her, if she says anything else, I will call you."

"Thank you", Ava said, "Luciana, Ms. Peters is going to take care of you until I can get you back to your parents."

After she left, Ms. Peters ushered me inside out of the crisp air. She held my hand as she led me upstairs to a small bedroom. She went into the closet for a moment, and returned with some pink pajamas for me.

"I'm going to go into the hall while you change into your pajamas", She told me before going out of the room.

I quickly changed into the clothes. Half way through I got frustrated, I usually had help getting dressed. It was something I wasn't used to doing by myself.

I opened the bedroom door to see Ms. Peters in the hall where she said she would be, however she was talking to a boy. As I looked at them, the more I noticed, the boy looked the same as the person who was peering at me from the window when I first arrived at the house.

Ms. Peters noticed I was eavesdropping and she finished the conversation quickly. She took me back inside the bedroom.

"I'm sorry sweetie, those pjs are a bit big on you", She frowned at me slightly. "I'll find you some clothes that fit better tomorrow, but it's been a long day so let's get you tucked into bed."

I climbed up onto the bed, Ms. Peters tucked me in, and left. This wasn't how bedtime went. I would get a story, hugs, and my teddy bear. I missed my family so much.

I don't remember when I fell asleep, but when I opened my eyes light was pooling into the room from the window. I got up out of bed and rushed down the stairs, hoping I could go home.

I had no idea where Ms. Peters was, however I heard loud chatter. I shrugged and went in that direction hoping to find her. Once inside the loud room, I saw many children sitting at tables eating breakfast.

Then I saw Ms. Peters, she was talking to the boy from last night. She noticed me standing awkwardly in the doorway and she waved me over.

"Good morning Luciana", She smiled. "Hope you slept well."

I shrugged, not in the mood to talk.

"This is Alexander, he's a very nice boy. Why not sit next to him for breakfast?" She explained to me before leaving. I sat down next to him.

Ms. Peters returned with a bowl of cereal and placed it in front of me. "Alexander, after breakfast show Luciana around the house."

He simply looked up at her with his mouth full of soggy cereal, some milk running down his chin.

Ms. Peters shook her head before leaving us alone. As I ate my bland breakfast, I noticed that the kids around me were whispering to each other.

"She is not weird", Alexander scolded them," now shut up."

They thought I was weird? I had never met any of them before, how could they assume that. I felt my bottom lip start to tremble and I knew tears were going to follow soon enough.

I got up from my chair and ran back upstairs to my room. I went inside the closet and cried silently to myself. I heard the bedroom door open, I peered through the slits on the door. It was Alexander and another boy who looked oddly like him.

"Luciana? Where did you go?"Alexander asked while looking under my bed, then he opened the closet door. "Don't cry. They are all jerks who pick their noses."

I stopped crying and smiled a bit.

Alexander said," I brought you something to cheer you up, my twin brother. His name is Nicholas. But you can call him nicky." Alexander leaned close to me and whispered, "I'm pretty sure aliens dropped him off."

Nicholas heard the statement, "I am not an alien."

"Are so."

"Am not"

Are so"

"AM NOT"

The two bickered back and forth for a while and I just watched. They reminded me of my brothers. They were twins like Leo and Lorenzo but acted like Marcello.

"If you aren't an alien then what are you", Alexander asked cockily with his arms proudly crossed over his chest.

"Super heroes dropped me here so I would be safe from the bad guys."

From that moment, I knew we would be best friends. And I was right. As the days went on, kids would try to pick on me. However Nicky and Alexander were always there to keep me safe.

Well... not always. Years later, when they died in that plane crash, I was alone. It was my first time being alone in a long time.

Even as a young teen, if kids would try to pick on me I would attack them. Everyone learned to leave me alone once I broke a few people's bones. Ms. Peters then decided I was a problem child and tried to send me to a different foster home.

That wasn't happening. I packed a small bag of clothes, a bit of money I saved over the years, and left the home.