Chapter Fourteen

"Your spells sound like a kindergartner on the first day of school," Dakari raged at me, "When you try to conjure a weapon you get a triple scoop of ice cream???"

"I swear I am trying, my magic seems to have a few glitches," I look at him sheepishly, "I will keep trying." I didn't mention that I had been just daydreaming about running out for a frozen treat later.

"And Maggie," he says whirling on her. "What in the hell is that?" We all stand looking at the puddle of yellowish muck in the middle of the floor.

"I was trying to conjure a bobcat to help me fight. I think I need to stick to smaller stuff." She sighs, it's all I can do not to burst out laughing.

Dak rolls his eyes skyward and snorts, "Ya, like insects." I had to chuckle. He can be so cruel.

Being the bratty little sister that she can be, Maggie instantly conjures a small swarm of flies that go about attacking his eyes and ears. One look and they disintegrate, leaving only dust in the air. I can't imagine what it's like at their house during a squabble, when the twins and I would fight it was just yelling and tattling.

It's getting late and the only thing we have accomplished is more confidence in our patheticness. After two weeks of extra sessions with Dak we had made little progress. There just weren't enough hours in the day. We still all need to get over to the training yard for tonight's skirmishes.

"If you two ever get attacked without any weapons I suggest you try an invisibility spell, otherwise you might only succeed in sliming the enemy. He laughs, but he is not smiling.

"Or killing them with a triple scoop?" I playfully ask.

Again, he laughs a little but it doesn't reach his eyes. I know he feels responsible for our lack of progress. I will make a point to master one spell this week that I can perform at will for Dak. He deserves that.

We vanish the slime and the ice cream and head out. It is not far to the Kalb house and training yard. It's really more of an arena as the Kalb property was previously used for horse training. The stalls have been converted into saunas, equipment rooms, and even a mud bath. I have never partaken in that activity but I know others who swear it heals sore muscles quickly. I truthfully think I would rather be sore.

Tonight Mr. Kalb doesn't greet us at the door, but instead Abe is there waiting. He is sporting that sexy grin and leaning on the door, shirt open to reveal more muscles than should be legally allowed out in public. I hear my panther purr.

"Hello Captain Obvious," cracks Dakari rolling his eyes as we pass through.

Abe pulls me aside as I was the last to pass through the door into the training yard. "Dad says I can lead tonight, will you be my sparring partner?" I hear Dakari's low growl deep in his chest. He really doesn't like Abe much.

"Of course," I say brightly and maybe a little too loud. "I'd love another chance to knock you on your a**. " With a hair flip I laugh, and Maggie and I head off to stretch.

Tonight we are working with the sticks from Tahtib. My sticks had a titanium core for strength, but to look at the art work etched into the sides one would think they were just decorations. Every individual had sticks made to fit their personality, and mine were covered with gymnasts and lightning bolts. I still loved to sketch storms, the more voracious the better. Only now I could just watch them on my phone to get inspired.

Much to Dak's surprise I was able to conjure a blade on the end of one of one, turning this beautiful work of art into a lethal weapon. I took a few blows in the legs before I realized that crushes can still beat the crap out of you.

We were evenly matched in the arena. What he had in bulk I countered in speed and agility. I punched into a front flip and mentally threw a flaming spear at his head. He was prepared for me this time, derailing it easily with a glance before it could find its mark. I had his attention now. We circled and his whirling sticks were going so fast they were just a blur. I couldn't see them long enough to stop them magically, so I conjured a large stone right in their path. One stick crashed to the floor and one flew into the crowd, I heard someone growl as it hit them in the shoulder. In the background I saw Dakari wink at me, this was not the time for ice cream scoops.

Others had stopped their sparring sessions as our intensity grew. I heard encouragement from the girls and realized we had a gender battle on our hands. All except Dakari, I knew his dislike of Abe had him in my corner.

Out of nowhere came a fierce little demon cat, teeth and nails sharp as needles. His eyes were crimson, and were focused on my neck. I swallowed hard and tried to think. "What in the hell can end a demon cat?"

I thought of Dak's advice and tried an invisibility spell. I managed to disappear both my arms and one foot. I heard the groan of the girls at my ineptness. To my surprise Dalya stepped up by my side and threw flaming water at the evil cat. It shrieked in rage, fangs bared, and blew up in a puff of red dust. I looked at her in awe, she actually smiled.

This partnership caught Abe off guard. It caught me off guard too, we have never been on the same side. We double teamed him with a rabid mongrel and dive bombing piranha birds. He collapsed back onto the mats and cried, "surrender." The conjured beasts instantly disappeared into thin air.

The boys boo'd Abe, but helped him up nonetheless. Everyone knew that Dalya was the best at this type of sparring. No one ever wanted to go against her.

"Next time Dad should put me in charge." She said eyeballing her brother, ruthless through and through. Only this time, someone else was feeling her jealous wrath.

I was still in shock that she had helped me even if it was just to prove a point to her father. I went to thank her but she dismissed me in her crude manner.

"Someone needed to save you from yourself." My hope of forging a friendship died, the look in her eyes told me she felt nothing buy pity for me.

"Would you teach me?" Keep your enemies close I thought.

"You want me to kick your a** everyday?" Incredulously she turned to me.

"Until I can kick yours." I answered back, just as snotty.

"Deal! We'll work one hour after regulars training every night. I am going to love this!" She sounded like a kid who just woke up to find themselves at Disneyland.

Not wanting to be out done in front of so many, I smirked, "Can we start tonight?"

This caught her by surprise. I could see the respect on the faces of those who could hear our conversation. I knew I somehow had to get all the werecats to follow me, no one wants to follow a weak leader. I figured leading by example couldn't hurt. I also knew I would get a lot more work on my healing skills now.

As expected, hoards of werecats loitered after or workout was done. They wanted to see bloodshed and I was sure we wouldn't disappoint.

I saw looks exchanged by the male cats. What the hell was it about a chick fight that made boys act so silly?

"Hand to hand tonight....no weapons, no spells....just basic combat."

This was going to be a long night.